Saturday 31 March 2012

First Quarter FAL

I decided not to write a post yesterday as I thought that you really didn't need to hear about me having to go to Northampton, getting lost, going to the DVLA and then having a rant about car tax. I wasn't very amused by it all so I was quite certain you would be even less so.

Therefore we are pretending that never happened and moving forward swiftly to Rhonda's Finish-A-Long first quarter linky party. I made my list deliberately short when I signed up to this deal. I thought I had a better chance at success, more fool me! But it isn't all failure because I do have a finish. Time to revisit what I thought I would be able to accomplish.

1. Finish Emily's quilt. Fail!





It is almost finished, but almost in a finish-a-long is like close not counting except in horseshoes and hand grenades.

2. Piece my Brit Bee blocks and turn them into a quilt. Fail!



Not a thing done here other than get them out and admire them periodically.

3. Do something, anything, with my Farmer's Wife blocks. Despite the wonderful FW party Sunni has been having this is a - Fail!



Not sure but was sort of hoping that if I left these in a dark corner some helpful elves might have come and turned them into a quilt one night out of the kindness of their hearts.

4. Piece and complete my Terrain HST quilt. Success! Phew!!



This was my one and only success but I count it as a good one because I love this little quilt.

5. Get going on either my Favourite Fabrics quilt, my HR Fan Club quilt or my For the Love of Birds quilt. Fail(ish)!



Well, I never indicated that I would finish anything here really, but just put it in with a wish and a prayer. But I have accumulated enough Heather Ross fabric to proceed with plans for a quilt when time allows. I have started the Birdie quilt, and lots of my Favourite Fabrics went into my Stained Colourful quilt so I feel like despite not having a finish I have made lots of progress. And I am well set up for the next quarter with things started.



In that original first quarter post I talked about a swap I was going to be involved in and Mouthy Stitches was formally announced, launched and brought to a successful conclusion but in the spirit of the FAL I do not think that really counts as a completion. Nor does the fact that I told you I was in the FTLOS swap, which I also successfully completed. But I am mentioning them here just to say - despite the epic fails above - I have been busy and done a lot. Honest!

Susan

24 comments:

  1. and remember that you have done heaps of other things as well. Love your terrain quilt - it was a worthy finish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Send your FW blocks to this elf and I`ll sew them together into a quilt top and send them back to you. I loved reading this post - as I did so, the famous buzzer from Family Fortunes (you know the one, our survey says...) was sounding every time I read `fail`. Love what you have done, and your Terrain quilt is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pushed the button too quickly. Also love your stained quilt (although I don`t like the word `stained`) and your Mouthy Stitches swap is legend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too much use of the word - fail - not at all, you have been a busy bee and have gorgeous stuff in the making!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the HST quilt, its beautiful and even if the FW blocks aren't in a quilt yet they are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It still seems like you've done an awful lot!! I love your stained quilt. It's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love love love that you only finished the one, you HAVE been busy, we know :-) Love the terrain HSTs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have been a busy girl really. My FAL had three items on it and I only managed to finish one lol. I got all enthusiastic about FW blocks too and then sort of run out of steam. I reckon I must have about 15 or so. Maybe sometime I should do a few more and knock them together into a small lap quilt lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well you've churned out a good few other things, so not exactly a failed quarter, try again next quarter with them, you're further along now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You goof, you are supposed to brag about the finish and just gloss over the still not finishes, none of this fail stuff. It looks like you will have a fun list for next quarter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terrain quilt is fab! And the mouthy stitches swap was a huge achievement don't forget.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I only had one success out of three, (I'm going to pick things I have secretly finished for the 2nd quarter!) X

    ReplyDelete
  13. No failures here! Progress made on all items! Yeh! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. lol epic fails! my Colin says that a lot! I love your stained glass quilt and terrain is amazing and very dramatic! You will get the others done, eventually! love the hand stitching on Emily's quilt x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like to remember that it's not a race!! Whose really counting? I'm not! It's great to get things finished (probably because we have some many other things we want to get to!) but your intentions are what counts! The "Terrain" quilt is still one of my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you did great!! This is a very busy time of year. I know it is here; I have hardly got any sewing time in the past 2 weeks....it is crazy getting yard work going....and early spring is nice; just cuts into my time....lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. In my opinion you didn't finish the things you said you would for this particular QAL but you've done a ton of other things. Stop kicking your own butt!

    There's always next quarter!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Quality over quantity, and the terrain and stains are certainly quality finishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. well, it sounds like you were VERY successful. As for your Farmer's Wife blocks. They do not accomplish anything when left alone. I left them on the floor in a pleasing queen size layout for 2 weeks and they did NOTHING! Most displeasing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You sound pretty darn successful, even though you may not have finished all that you said you were going to do. It also makes me feel much better about my epic fail on the FAL, so thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Seriously? Any kinb of progress is NEVER a fail! Get real, look at the amazing things you DID do...They rock! (and I am still drooling-yes, maybe literally- over that red bird.) And I am a FIRM beleiver that some things just need time to "marinate" or they are not a pieceful (LOL) journey!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree, any kind of progress is not a fail. your for the love of birds fabric is really cute. and the stained colourful quilt top is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You've finished more than I have!! (But then I'm not in the FAL!) I love everything in this post and am not sure that not finishing is the same as failing...maybe the FAL is like the hare and the tortoise?!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.