Today was the day. I was going to face up to another nemesis and take on paper piecing for Miss March in the Brit Bee. Well, I sort of did it. Maybe. First I went online and found a pattern.
Kind of hard to tell, but it is for a birthday cake. And I started out well (but forgot to take photos). I made the candle. Put the background fabric on said candle. Then started on the cake. But decided that it need to be a bit bigger, with a layer of strawberries and cream in the middle. And it needed to be on a plate. So I made it up as I went along after that. Which doesn't exactly qualify as paper piecing really, more like fake paper piecing. I don't think I did too badly on the improv side of things though. Even if my plate is a little wonky.
I have another block in mind to make for Miss March. Wonder if I will manage to stick to the plan this time. Somehow I have my doubts.
Other accomplishments today are doing the hand quilting for my mum's cushion cover.
And getting two thirds the way round sewing down the binding on 'that other project'.
For other news, the girls came out of school today to announce how they did in the Easter Egg decorating contest. Last year they were in different classrooms and each won. (Blogged here.) This year they were up against each other. Helen won first place with her gondolier.
But happily Emily got third place for her 'Homer Simpson' donut eating egg. Yippee! Two happy girls = one happy mother.
The school holidays start on Friday. I still have a long list of things to accomplish. Best get on with it then.