Wednesday 28 March 2012

Faking It

Today was the day. I was going to face up to another nemesis and take on paper piecing for Miss March in the Brit Bee. Well, I sort of did it. Maybe. First I went online and found a pattern.


Kind of hard to tell, but it is for a birthday cake. And I started out well (but forgot to take photos). I made the candle. Put the background fabric on said candle. Then started on the cake. But decided that it need to be a bit bigger, with a layer of strawberries and cream in the middle. And it needed to be on a plate. So I made it up as I went along after that. Which doesn't exactly qualify as paper piecing really, more like fake paper piecing. I don't think I did too badly on the improv side of things though. Even if my plate is a little wonky.


I have another block in mind to make for Miss March. Wonder if I will manage to stick to the plan this time. Somehow I have my doubts.

Other accomplishments today are doing the hand quilting for my mum's cushion cover.


And getting two thirds the way round sewing down the binding on 'that other project'.


For other news, the girls came out of school today to announce how they did in the Easter Egg decorating contest. Last year they were in different classrooms and each won. (Blogged here.) This year they were up against each other. Helen won first place with her gondolier.


But happily Emily got third place for her 'Homer Simpson' donut eating egg. Yippee! Two happy girls = one happy mother.


The school holidays start on Friday. I still have a long list of things to accomplish. Best get on with it then.

Susan

29 comments:

  1. Wow, those are amazing easter eggs, very talented girls! I think that no one would have known about the fake paper piecing if you had not mentioned it. You should just carry on. The pillow looks great too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously great eggs!! Great job girls! I want that cake fer reals...I bet the girls could make that for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cake looks delish! Great piecing :)
    That little Homer is just crackin' (har har) me up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool are the eggs, your girls are so talented! Love the cake block.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! What fabulous eggs! Talented girls. LOVE your paper pieced cake - brilliant! And perfect hand quilting as always. But you are really teasing us now with 'that other' project! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leanne is right - fake it until you make it, that`s my motto. Your cake is amazing!! Love the eggs too - they are egg-cellent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol, love the egg projects!

    Well done on the paper piecing however you may have adulterated it lol I'd have just drawn it in and carried on, so not cheating really...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the cake turned out brilliantly!!

    Love the eggs, girls, did you hear me? I LOVE YOUR EGGS - YOU ARE BOTH AMAZING!! ;)

    (When's the Melody Miller draw?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a talented bunch you are!! The cake looks ( almost) good enough to eat!!! And your stitching is perfect! You are being very sneaky about that other project !?

    ReplyDelete
  10. All crafty girls and winners too! Love the cake - pity you can't eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Egg-strodinarily inventive and talented egg decorating (sorry for the pun). And your pieced cake is fantastic - I would never have guessed it was fake pieced - I like yours much better than the original pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a talented trio!!
    Your cake, cushion cover and other thingymajig all look wonderful.
    Eggcellent Easter projects from the girls - hope they won a decent amount of choccy :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool egg dioramas girls!

    And you Ms. Susan were you possessed by the sewing fairies? That's one huge amount of achievement for a single day .

    I love the PP block.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the cake - would be great to send out instead of birthday cards.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic eggs Girls! Ya big tease Susan! lovely cake, and all round business!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the cake block and the egg creations are fantastic. Very talented girls.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loving the cushion progress and that cake is inspired. As for the eggs. They're fab. A little surreal, but fab!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats to the girls! Fab eggs!

    Love your tasty cake block - have you created a new skill - the paper pieced improv block?!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOOHOO! love the homer egg.... (gondolier good too) And you! blimey that cake looks delicious and its not even real chocolate... Cant wait to see "other project" in full!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice job on the cake! Your girls did great .. congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Everything in this post is full of win.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, great egg decorating, congratulations to the girls.
    Love that cake, especially the strawberries and cream layer.

    ReplyDelete
  23. clever girls you got there! love your cake block and the plate looks fine to me! like it is meant to be that way. x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great cake block, tell the girls congrats on the eggs, they look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great cake block I love the strawberry addition.

    ReplyDelete
  26. love the girls eggs again this year:well done on the prizes.
    And you paper piecing looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  27. ok I am reading these posts in backwards order. My stitch tease block can be Cake and Ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, I REALLY don't miss egg decorating day - what a nightmare!! Your girls did brilliantly though - well done them! I love your cake block, it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love my cake! I love the perfect improv plate and the equally perfect paper pieced candle! Looks like your girls have inherited your creative talents :) x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.