Tuesday 6 March 2012

How to Look Like You've Gained a Tonne of Weight!

I came up with a great way to make myself look like I gained a tonne of weight and have lips like a walrus. Do a self portrait of myself in fabric. Well not my idea so much as the instructions received for the February bee block for Brit Bee. I am late, but I have done it. And I do look like I have the lips of a walrus now. But, maybe that's what people think when they see me in real life but are too polite to tell me. Who knows?!

I started with a play on Picnik with one of my photos. I tried doing it like everyone else did in Brit Bee with brilliant results but when I reduced my photo to two colours I looked like a blob. So I went a different route and made it into a sketch instead.


Which I cut up.


I then turned the hair and the top I was wearing into two components of the photo with the help of some tracing and interfacing. I sewed these to the background fabric.


Next I needed a face. I place the printed piece of paper with my face on it under the white fabric and used a disappearing pen to trace out some of my features - roughly. Keep that roughly point in mind when you see the results!


Using the lines I sketched, I tried to follow them with a little free motion stitching. It seemed to be going okay until I got to my mouth. Unpicking of stitches happened, and again. And then I decided that I would just have to have a weird mouth.


I did some more stitching with a variegated thread on for my hair - notice the authentic touch of grey! Some grey thread was used on my top to give it a little texture.

To the right of my portrait I personalised the block a little more with a Canadian flag and my blog name.


I have no idea what drove me to choose the sashing I did. Do you?


And, for better or for worse, this is what I am sending Miss February - Jenny. I do hope it is good enough. This was quite a challenge, and an interesting one at that. Thank you Jenny, for pushing my boundaries and making me try something new.


Susan

29 comments:

  1. Oh Susan - it`s great although I think that when I meet you in June you will be much more beautiful. I love how you`ve finished it with the binding (find out the relevance in June no doubt) and the flag. As a well known ad would say, "This is me!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. All these self portraits I am seeing on the Brit Bee are so great. I could never do this, although you are much better looking in your photo than in fabric. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're being hard on yourself - your portrait is great! And with the flag (and name!) there's no mistaking you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a great job...now I have met you in person and I can attest that you do not have lips like a walrus...a mouth like a sailor maybe but not lips of a walrus :o) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it turned out great. The flag is a lovely touch :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't have a clue what would make you choose that sashing...hehehe

    I think you did a fab job. I however have no desire to appear as though I have gained a tonne of weight. I don't think you look like you have walrus lips (do they even have lips?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a lovely job, and you do not look like a walrus at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think that is fab and as for a walrus dont think so !!though i thought it might be a choccie sashing !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks fab Susan and you don't look like you have lips like a walrus!!
    I did giggle about the 'mouth like a sailor' comment though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol, the sashing is inspired ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Susan, you are so funny! Fabric self portraits are so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did a great job as in my opinion it was a horrendous challenge. You Brit Bees rose to the challenge and should be proud! Di xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dear those teeth. If only Mom & Dad had more $$$ when you were young they could have afforded braces! LOL and smiley faces, etc.

    Big Bro

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it's beautiful. (and you dont look like a puffed up walrus )

    Kudos for even attempting it.

    And you chose the cocktail fabric because you were being driven to drink!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ha ha! You definitely bear no resemblence anywhere to a walrus!! I have seen a few of the brit bee blocks for these self portraits and you all have my admiration for what you have acheived!

    ReplyDelete
  16. fantastic block - love it - great job

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brilliant, and you did it your way! I wouldn't know where to start!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have done a wonderful job Susan - love the bit about using the thread for the touch of grey in your hair :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. If you are a walrus then where's your moustache? Sorry not anything like a walrus but a tiny bit like you - you are of course much more beautiful, livelier and thinner!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nicky is right, if you are a walrus you should have a moustache. I think you deserve a lot of those cocktails.
    Good on you for persevering with it. there's no way I could have attempted that block. I might have the giggles for the rest of the day now, when I think of you as a walrus.

    ReplyDelete
  21. a walrus??! hahahaha, you are too funny!!
    the stitching look great and I love the personal touches :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think it is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh this is fabulous, might need to give those teeth a wee floss though!!! Well done for conquering a v.difficult challenge! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Susan. What are we going to do with you eh? Whilst this could be your older, fatter sister... its still, ummmm, good? lol!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lol, love the walrus comment - the lips were the bit that caught me out too...great block, Mrs x

    ReplyDelete
  26. I don't know what you mean about the walrus lips - they totally look like your real lips. HAHA joking :P
    When Carol was doing my fabric portrait I remember she made a comment to me at some stage in the process "I don't 'do' teeth" - I think because I had sent her a photo with my teeth showing or something.
    I guess that would be why - they look like tricky little things...

    So glad it was you & not me that had that challenge. But Yay you for conquering your fear and achieving it!! :) :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.