Friday 23 March 2012

Contentment

You have to be happy on a day like today. What absolutely glorious weather! The sunshine is just blissful as is the new growth in the garden. I love watching my little world come to life again - even if I am the world's worst gardener and am totally crap at it. My herbs are re-emerging after a winter in hiding.

The oregano has far more growth than expected.
Time to get the old dead stuff out of there, I suppose.

The chives are thriving too.
As is that tiny weed in the bottom left of the photo.

My baby rosemary looks less than pleased with the winter rigours it has undergone. The thyme - well - the thyme just looks dead. I will give it the benefit of the doubt for another week or two but I have a feeling it just needs removing and replacing. Some other things never die though!

The nettles are looking healthier than ever under the trampoline!

Days like today demand that laundry be done and placed outside. And other tasks to be sped through so that you can take some hand sewing outside and bask in the pure joy of it all.


I grabbed my tin full of perle cottons, a disappearing pen, my scissors and out I went.


Is anyone surprised that I keep my perle cottons in a tin that used to contain chocolates?

I am working on a little project for the sewing retreat. A small swap where we make name tags for each other. Obviously I cannot show you the finished product until after my partner receives it but I can show you the basic form I was working on today with my colourful threads.


I am hoping I have chosen colours my partner likes and it will look a lot different (I hope) by the time I am finished with it.

What other reasons do I have to be happy today? Well, some of you may be aware that I have been on my own during the week for the past two years while himself worked away. But as of today we are a full time family seven days a week. No more waving good bye on a Sunday evening. Such a good feeling but, I must state, the fight for control of the telly remote has commenced!

Susan

25 comments:

  1. Yay! So glad to hear the news about hubby!

    Well done for taking full advantage of the weather...hold onto your hat as there is more to come this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that your wee family is altogether again! That means you can have weekends away in sunny Belfast!! Love what you're doing with the doggy! And my rhubarb has started to grow! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Give the thyme a chance - the leaves should grow from those dead-looking branches!
    Glad to hear hubs is home - how are you going to fit the sewing in around pandering to his every need?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Give the thyme a chance - the leaves should grow from those dead-looking branches!
    Glad to hear hubs is home - how are you going to fit the sewing in around pandering to his every need?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your quilting tin - does it still smell like chocolate?! I'm so pleased you're going to be a seven days a week family...now hide that remote!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for the sun, Retreat badges and 7 days-a-week Batik love! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep some of my embroidery thread in a Thorntons box :)
    Great news about the family time and there's just weeds growing in my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great news susan :-) Love the sausage dog, and cant wait to see what you do with all those lush perles

    ReplyDelete
  9. I store mine in a child's picnic basket - it still has room for more colours!

    Your badge is great - how big is yours!? I really ought to get started on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I keep my threads in an old tin of wine gums: my absolute fave! I managed to get home before 4 today, so got outside, mowed the lawn and completely blitzed the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope having hubby around all the time doesn't cramp your style! And I gave up control of the tv remote years ago! All this talk of sunny weather is making me grumpy... It is like winter here in Melbourne !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness - that`s a-mazing news!!! Does Himself know quite how much time you are online while he`s away? Does this mean we will see less of you? Thrilled to hear your news!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hurrah! Been there, done that, didn't like it one bit. Glad it is over now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dianne cracks me up!
    Glad to hear you are having nice weather here. Today the sun is shining and we have blue skies, the first day in a couple of weeks, yay.
    You need to eat more chocolates so you can have more tins to keep other sewing supplies!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was just thinking about thread storage, looking at thread holders on the web and considering options, but you've hit the nail on the head and i'll get down to tesco for some quality street straight away! Great news re: hubby :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree, give the thyme a chance, if you get more, leave the old stuff in place and see what happens. I am so glad you will have your guy about more. I have to start thinking about the name tag too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Seeing your tin of perle cottons puts a smile on my face, they are happy colors.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad to hear you will have a foot warmer 7 days a week. The little doggie project is coming along and looking grand.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like you had a fab day and I can't wait to see your finished tag. I can suggest that a sharp whack on the knuckles would solve your remote control issues ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Give the thyme a chance. You might need to cut it back a little with scissors (not embroidery ones LOL).

    Gorgeous weather here too. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am thrilled for you...now you will know better just how I feel when I complain about Charlie LOL

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh I have some of those tins!! and Celebrations, and Roses and....oh does that sound like I have eaten lots of chocolate :-) Glad hubs is home, it's nice to all be together. As for the remote .... get another TV!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yay for returning, wandering himselves, left battle commence! I might have to come by and kidnap that tin...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh brilliant news re hubby, working away all week sucks! The little tag looks great, I shall look out for it in June! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.