Wednesday 7 March 2012

Stitch Tease

You may have seen a new button on my side bar, and seen it appear on a few other sites. That's because the lovely Di, over at Random Thoughts of Do or Di, has set up a brilliant little group of us to do a round robin bee - Stitch Tease.  I am honoured to be asked to join this lot of talented friends and am looking forward to seeing the progress on the various quilts.

Besides our glorious leader, Di, also in the group are -

Hadley - Flying Blind on a Rocket Cycle
Annabella - Life's Rich Pattern
Katy - The Littlest Thistle
Diane - Quiltova
Helen - Run, Quilt, Knit, Write
Danny - Mommy for Reals

We each have to come up with an inspiration mosaic, and then make the first block for our quilts. I am going for a 20" x 30" block, involving wonky stars and lots of colour. I know! What a huge surprise!!


Today I started stitching my block. I would have got more done only life thought otherwise. Oh, and I forgot my own instructions and made the first star colourful with white around it. What I was supposed to do is stars like these, white with a colourful background.


Now I am building up the star blocks in an improvisational way with the intention of joining them up. No, there isn't a pattern. No, there are no regular measurements. Yes, I have made it harder than I might have intended if I had thought about it a bit more first.


I have no idea what this quilt is going to look like by the end of this project. I am thinking that maybe I should rethink my idea. I will let it sit and fester over night and see how I feel about it tomorrow. For those in the bee who like more direction in their instructions, this will not suit at all! I shall complete the block and decide if eight of them together would be interesting, or look like an accident in a quilting cotton factory.

Susan

16 comments:

  1. I love the white stars, they'll be crying out for some perle when you get it back! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Mosaic and I love the stars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds a really fun project, and your stars are looking good :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you have made so far! Do you have a common fabric that will be in all your partner's blocks? That would help pull it together, wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds fun! And the stars look fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  6. The stars look lovely. Di xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the white stars and your mosaic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no, don't rethink it - this'll be a super funky quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It will look lovely - not too different to mine I suppose but with stars!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh I love your stars, I want to make some but my To Do list is already a bit long... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So happy to be in a bee with you Susan and will be very happy to make some stars for you! Did you decide on your fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Och, sure, it'll be grand, and improv's the height of fashion these days... :oD

    ReplyDelete
  13. From what I see I think this will make a great looking quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't wait to get going on this! Wonky stars - I'm your girl!! I had such fun working on mine...hadn't quite twigged that we are both doing stars, but now that I see yours I think the end effect is going to be completely different!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the stars! It's a great idea and you can get the perle out when it comes back! Scrappy rainbows + wonky stars + perle cotton = fabulous quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the way these are coming out. Most of the blocks will be pushing me to do something I wouldn't normally do, so bring on the wonky stars!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.