Thursday 3 November 2011

A Natural Aptitude

A natural aptitude for ineptness is more like I. There I was, merrily whipping the hoover about the house - as you do. Well actually, probably as you do but not as I do very frequently. But I was getting on with it when I came to the dining sewing room. As I am knee deep in making stuff right now I thought I would push the hoover over the spots of carpet still visible but the rest could wait until this creating had taken a slight rest. I should have known better.

Because that long blue thread lying on the carpet was not just a long loose thread, it was a long loose thread attached to a fat quarter. Lickity split that fat quarter was wrapped around the roller brush of my upright hoover and lodged tight. One of my precious solids at that! (Oh Hadley, stop shaking your head at me!) I tugged and I pulled - after I unplugged the hoover of course, even I am not that stupid inept. That piece of fabric was not moving an inch.

This is the good bit now. I went and found a crosshead screwdriver. I took apart the bottom bit of my hoover. I removed my not as mangled as I thought it would be fat quarter and I put the hoover back together again. Properly! Really, I tried it and it still works. Which is a good thing as I am much more likely to be able to save the money for a new fat quarter than I am for a new hoover.

So now you know what I did with part of my day. We shall not discuss housework further - even if I did do more - as I will start getting palpitations and people might start expecting my house to be tidy.

Instead I will show you what I got in the post yesterday. I was involved in the DS Doll Quilt Swap. I sent off this a few weeks ago. Today I received this wonderful mini quilt from Australia.


 This mini piece of gorgeousness was received from Sheridan who blogs at Chaletgirl. Our challenge for this swap was to produce a mini quilt using only Denyse Schmidt fabrics and solids. I think Sheridan has done a perfect job. Her choice of solids to highlight each DS fabric is perfect and her stitching is right up my street. She couldn't have chosen a better design for me - lovely solids, colourful, and wonky too. She obviously took the time to find out what I liked. And I thank her very much for that.


Isn't that just lovely?!
 Then to top it off she sent me an extra. An extra that might make Hadley stomp her feet and say things like 'It's not fair!' Because the very generous Sheridan sent me some DS fabric from the Sugar Creek and Winding Road lines that were only released in Australia so like gold dust over here.


I'd tell you which one was my favourite but I can't decide. Suppose I just love them all. That settles it then, more fabric that I won't want to cut because I like it too much. Getting far too much of that in my stash!

A big thank you to Sheridan for putting a smile on my face when the hoover was trying to suck it off. I promise to never, ever hoover around these fabrics. Really, I do!

Susan

23 comments:

  1. Your hoover is as much a fabric lover as you are! Lovely gifts from Sheridan. Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. See this is exactly why I do as little housework as I can get away with, you just don't need these dramas in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope you took a couple of your pills though i think they will be all gone !!!glad it all worked out ok and i love your new fabrics lucky you !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness the fabric came to no harm!! Next time try using the nozzle for those little patches of carpet...better yet just cover them with some fabric and you don't have to hoover at all! Love the doll quilt and the extras are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favourite thing to accidentally hoover up is the phone charger lead by the side of my bed. A sensible person would just unplug it and put it out of the way before she decided to hoover using the dangerously spinny carpet head...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are actually hilarious. I am sat here giggling. Are you sure you just couldn't be bothered to pick up the fabric and used the hoover as a reaching device? Fess up.... We know what you're like!

    Please send some golddust over this way at your earliest convenience. The dark one, or the blue cheques will be fine. That is all.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. and the moral of the story is less hoovering, more sewing :)
    Gorgeous fabrics!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your repair and rescue job! Gorgeous fabric extras to go with that very cute quilt. Your smile is lovely - keep the hoover away from it in future!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMGoodness...you crack me up. I am with Lucy...more sewing, less cleaning!! Seriously, I was laughing out loud. You know why? Because this is totally something I would do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. *shudder* that put me off housework for life!

    Love your mini and extras though - especially if it makes Hadley stamp her feet ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You clearly weren`t taking your anti allergy to housework pills!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Death to all hoovers, I'm first to sign up with you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. well done on the taking hoover apart and putting back together again bit!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you sticking it to that hoover. Is it getting back at you for over working it?

    Happy you and your goodie and DS quilt. The hand stitching is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll second Sara's motion, death to all hoovers! Mine nearly killed me on Monday! Beautiful littel quilt and wow, what a pile of lovliness as extra's :) Hide it before Hadley gets there! In fact Laulipops is closer (be afraid!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Sheridan, Please forgive that crazy woman - how she dared to headline her post about your beautiful quilt and lovely fabrics with a tale about her hoover, I don't know - she does not deserve such lovely swapsies!!

    Your cards are marked Standen!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Serves you right for trying to be tidy in time that could have been spent sewing! Lucky you, your mini is lovely and so are your fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yep- that's what happens when you tempt the housework gods...I hope you've learned your lesson.

    Beautiful quilt and extras!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm all for extreme hoovering - puts a bit of spice into the old housework!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  20. and that's why you don't do the hoovering.....you've put me off getting my hoover out today (not that i need any encouragement)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Make sure you keep that gorgeous new fabric off the floor when you are vacuuming! LOL Been in your shoes before myself.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's why housework sucks, lol. You're a girl after my own heart, I hate housework, ask Shay!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great quilt and fabric just don't do housework of any sort - far too dangerous!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.