Friday 18 November 2011

Those of Delicate Nature Look Away Now

Himself is having a birthday today. I won't say how old, but he is older than me. Ha! And I made him cry this morning. In a good way.

This time last year I received a commission for a quilt for someone, throw size. They want natural colours, autumnal, hints of brights, etc. They had a particular fabric they liked and they showed me. I based the quilt on the fabrics they liked. That's what you do for a commission, right? Himself loved the quilt. It was the first one I made that he genuinely and truly loved. When it came time to deliver the quilt the person it was for lost their job the same week. No sale!

Most people would think that I then turned to my husband and told him that since he liked it so much he could have it. I didn't. My mother liked it too. And I didn't know what to give her for Christmas so I gave her the quilt. Himself went without. I know, I am a horrible wife!

So this week, surrounded by sick children I made another quilt finally. For himself. And when he got it this morning I knew he liked it because he welled up. (Good thing I know he doesn't read this blog!)

You may well wonder why I am telling you to look away if you are someone of a delicate nature. Well this quilt is a b**** quilt. No, not that five letter 'B' word. Worse!

I'll whisper it. It is made with batiks.

There, I said it. The forbidden fabric of the quilting world. But I still had enough left to make another quilt so I crossed over to the other side and made him this.


It's a stack and whack quilt. I don't think that is the proper technical term, but it is how I think of it. A handy dandy way of making a quilt, I must say.



I did a quick stipple on it. There wasn't time to do anything complicated or that I had to ponder about. John was already in his car headed towards us when I finished the last stitches in the binding.


Four feet, one head. Something went wrong here!
I am on day five of sick kids. I ran out of patience and sympathy three days ago. I am not the natural nursing type. I fervently hope they are better soon because I really, really need to be alone. I had to drag them out to Waitrose with me today so that I could get the necessary foods for the birthday dinner. (In our family you can request whatever you like for your dinner on your birthday.) I do not recommend taking children to Waitrose - whether they are healthy or not. It cost me, big time! Far too many tempting things in there and this was one mother who just wanted to get them home again so did not have the willpower to say no the whole time.

I now have pork ribs slow roasting in the oven in a delicious tangy tomato sauce. The starter will be seared scallops with crispy pancetta. And the cake is cooling, ready to be filled with raspberries and cream soon. All this was accomplished while I tried not to tread on the entertainment. Why do children feel that they must be as close to you as possible when they aren't well? So, I cooked and they worked on this under my feet.



And that brings us to the end of the post leaving one last question. What is my Favourite Thing Friday? Well, that is easy this week. Making my man cry - in a good way!!

Susan

PS: Apologies to all those who I traumatised by making them look at b***ks. I shall endeavour to make sure it doesn't happen again.

31 comments:

  1. Im hoping for the same reaction from my man on christmas day when I give him the quilt made with fabric brought using the gift voucher he gave me for my birthday! I have had the eldest off for two days this week, the youngest is only 2 so too young to send out and a freshly castrated dog! After that I NEED to sew but i've packed all my threads, doh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever made my husband cry. Nice favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, a great favorite. :)

    I must be a dunce, however, b/c I didn't know Batiks were the forbidden fabrics. That's too bad b/c I have a couple jelly rolls of batik that I plan to use for a me, myself and I quilt one day! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also didn't know they were the forbidden fabrics of the quilting world. Why is that? I am lost! AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww Happy Birthday to Himself! His quilt looks great!
    I don't hate batiks, in fact I really like some of them!
    I know exactly what you mean about the proximity of sick children, so far only one of mine has gone down, but the other 2 seem to be in competition with her to monopolise my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I must be really un-hip because I still love batiks; so there!
    Happy Birthday to himself:)and well done on the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad I read the earlier comments because I felt stupid for not knowing batiks were persona non grata amongst the quiltarati!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to stick my head above the parapet and say that I like batiks!! (But only in the colours I like, you can keep the brown and cream ones!!) Love the quilt and the sound of the birthday tea - photos please!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a wonderful story and a fabulous quilt!

    I didn't know batiks were forbidden in quilts. I use them all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know lots of people don't like them but find I like them better as Helen likes that so much! Have a few and in the right place I think they are great - that quilt is the right place Susan!

    Enjoy the celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hilarious post!! Sorry to say it but I do hate batiks, so I appreciate your discretion! This quilt does look great though and I'm intrigued by the stack em and whack em technique??!
    My daughter is sick too, so I totally empathise and will not be going anywhere need the shops!! You're a brave lady :) Oh and can I come for dinner? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I`m with Lucy and really don`t like batiks. At all. However, the problem may be with me and not batiks as used in the right way they can look okay. I`m trying to convince myself here. Anyway, if your hubster loves them then that`s great! So basically John and Kat have the same birthday - no wonder you get on so well. Happy birthday celebrations and cute photo of the one headed four footed monster hiding behind your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well I`m with Lucy and really don`t like batiks. At all. However, the problem may be with me and not batiks as used in the right way they can look okay. I`m trying to convince myself here. Anyway, if your hubster loves them then that`s great! So basically John and Kat have the same birthday - no wonder you get on so well. Happy birthday celebrations and cute photo of the one headed four footed monster hiding behind your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know what all the fuss is about with Batiks! They're not my favourite but I always think they quilt up beautifully! So lovely that your man really appreciated your quilt gift - bless! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Im so glad he loved the quilt. All that hard work was so worth it.

    Oh my goodness -I had no idea how brave I was being by using batiks in my Merry Go Round quilt. Thank goodness I didn't know I broke a cardinal quilting rule!

    ReplyDelete
  16. so funny, you with the "b" word! I have a pile of them and hate to waste them...but your quilt turned out lovely. Maybe I can make a man quilt with mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. aaahhhh my eyes, my eyes.. they're burning... ;P lol....
    ok that's more to do with the fact that I've been up all night with a teething baby rather than your b##:Ks (which is also why I have not replied to anything)
    (although they're not my cup of tea either)
    So glad your himself liked his quilt. Bet he liked his birthday dinner too!
    Yum!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well I too love batiks - but they don't seem to feature at all in the "modern quilt" movement.

    I love the variety and depth of colours you get with them. I've used them quite a lot and mix and match with all sorts of other fabrics.

    Each to their own.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well for those that do - love them, and those that don't - man up! hehe, thrilled 'himself' loves his quilt, worthy of tears indeed! love the 4 footed head shot! and at least looking for the corners could have kept the sickies busy for hours! lol Have a great weekend Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  20. aww, nice - happy birthday to himself. I have bucket loads of batiks - I went to Bali 2 years ago and bought tons for about a dollar a metre - they're very handy for all sorts of things....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely thought, and I know making a man quilt is a task in itself!

    I hope he has been instructed to only use it in the car due to its dubious fabric - he'll appreciate it more when stuck on the M3 in the snow!

    Happy Birthday Mr S x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I hate to say this but batiks are growing on me, I might use them to make a quilt one day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is a lovely quilt and I am so glad you made it for your husband. I am not convinced that batiks are bad, I am not sure where the idea that they might be came from.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a lovely favourite. I didn't even know there was a prejudice in the quilting world against Batiks. Who Knew!! I hope your celebration was great despite the sick littlies.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great man quilt! Glad your hubby appreciated it - doesn't that make it so worth the effort and redeem your bad wife tactics from last year! I'm so jealous you can run this up inside a week - I've been working at my man quilt for weeks and weeks and weeks and it's still not done! (Nearly though.)

    ReplyDelete
  26. what a great quilt, even though its made with batiks. Have to say, whilst i dont like them, I used them for a partner in the goodie swap and the end result wasn't so bad: and I have a stack left so may have to use it up. Its a great pattern you have used: what is a 'stack and whack'?

    ReplyDelete
  27. I will say batiks are not my fave but I think your quilt is just lovely, love the randomness of the blocks! Now, making your hubbie cry, that is a whole other talent ;-) Hope the birthday was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm in the camp of people that are confused by the B word...is it a bad word?

    Glad hubby liked the quilt...it is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, that's so sweet! You've got a keeper, Susan! I'm so happy you got such a fantastic reaction of a handmade with super special love gift. Awesome.
    I have to say, I love/hate the B****s depending on the print/color. A little foot in each camp, I guess.
    Your post just cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lol, you're so funny! Love the B***k discussion (not really a fan, but I do like the quilt design very much) and also love the four feet, one head photo...glad the girls are on the mend x

    ReplyDelete
  31. ROFL at the 'B' word! Glad himself loved it, and despite the sweary word fabric, it looks great.

    I never take children to Waitrose, but then I'd have to nick some to be able to, and you know, 'they' frown on that sort of thing ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.