Saturday 19 November 2011

The Light at the End of the Tunnel

Finally, the girls are perking up. Not perfect yet but we got out of the house today and they did stuff. Physical stuff that tired them out totally. It was good for them and good for me to be out. They have not asked to be medicated once today despite saying their tummies still hurt some. They spent two hours in the swimming pool. My friend, the one who has the pool in her house, says that the chlorine will take care of any lingering germs. Yeah!! The swimming was followed by a dance lesson and then we were over at a friend's house for a few hours. They are going to sleep tonight!

I truly believe that the girls will be back in school on Monday. It couldn't have happened last week. Emily sobbed over  her homework on Thursday. Complete brain and emotional breakdown.She was not ready to return at that point! We are just about back to normal and I am so pleased. It has been a long week.

Now that my attempt at Christmas fairs is over, and the quilt for himself is made and given I think I need to turn my mind towards Christmas making, of the present giving kind. I already owned this book.


Now I own this fabric.


And I am in love. These are no not the typical fabrics I go for and not the typical colours I go for either, but the more I look at it the more I love it.



My sister-in-law likes deep reds, and blues, and greens. I looked at the different lines of fabric and contemplated some of them, but I found them too dark for me. I know that the sofa they own is dark brown leather so I am hoping a throw in these colours will compliment it and that the reds and soft blue in these fabrics will appeal to my SIL.


The maps and the text appeal to me, and even that lush dark red is calling to me. Well, I can't always do brights, can I?! So I am going to use the book for inspiration and hope to come up with an idea of my own that uses the charm pack as well as the jelly roll, but it may turn out that there is a quilt in the book that is just perfect and I go with that. I am not used to using patterns. We will see how that goes.

And for those of you who wonder why us UK quilters complain about costs sometimes, this one charm pack and jelly roll combined cost me over £40. That converts to almost $65. This is why I end up buying most of my fabric from overseas and why I really shop around for it. It just isn't in the budget to be spending this much very often. I only got this because in the long run I end up saving on the actual money spent at Christmas. And as the first gift made with this has to be sent to Canada I needed it now, not in two or three weeks time.

But at the end of this day - my girls are bouncing back and I have new fabric. Life is good!

Susan

24 comments:

  1. So glad to hear the girls are on the mend - you must be so relieved! Hope they sleep well tonight! I love the fabric - not my usual colours either but the text and map fabrics are fabulous and I can't wait to see what you make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Etchings - looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto Annabella! Love Etchings too! Glad the girls are bouncing back and your nerves are still in tact (just!). Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad the girls are on the mend and out and about! Love the etchings, I'd love some of the map and architecture prints :-) And I love that book too! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad thing are looking up with the girls ,love to see what you come up with for you sil love the map print !!enjoy :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad your girls are on the mend! I haven't seen that fabric before, but it looks beautiful. Can't wait to see what you decide on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad the girlies are feeling better.
    I love the Etchings and echo your sentiments re. cost - you really do have to shop around.
    And I love the quilt you made for your husband, my friend has just made a stack and whack type quilt from the MBS - it is really super.(Cinammon Buns)

    ReplyDelete
  8. yeah for happy you! that's a great book, so I am totally sure you're going to have a great time stitching away. lovely bubbly!

    how are the girls today? the chlorine take care of the lingering cooties?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabric prices in Australia are similar so I totally agree with you! The Etchings range is lovely,especially the map and text! Ah, Paris!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just bought some etchings fat quarters because I love the text and the map fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Showing us your Etchings are you - I know your game!

    Glad the girls have perked up at last xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hear you on the fabric costs thing. That's about what a jelly roll and charm pack would cost here in Australia too. Highway robbery I tell you!

    Glad to hear the girls are feeling well enough to do every day stuff. I figure if they're dancing and swimming today school on Monday is a very reasonable plan.

    Gold Star Mum! You survived a very stressful week. Now treat yourself to a glass of wine and some sewing of that new quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Etchings and I also ship from the US, even with shipping it is cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad the girls are on the mend. Love your fabric choice - look forward to watching this space for progress. Sure it'll be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great book, beautiful fabrics, but best of all the girls are better and you are happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't blame you for shopping around...fabric is outrageous prices. I love the fabric you have picked so far....go for it!! My Mom is from Scotland; so, I tend to be thrifty too....lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. as the others have already said, fabric here is much the same price for precuts. That's why I order so much in. But the only downside to that is that you don't get the tactile experience of buying it and I'm sure there's a lot that I see online and think ick which I'd like in real life (probably just as well then isn't it)
    and then of course there's the wait. And boy do we Aussies know how to wait for mail!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the text and map fabrics too! Glad to hear the girls are doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  19. gorgeous fabrics - good to see your girls are getting better

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yeah Susan - I know how you feel - mine are taking it in turns to fall ill! I got one day to myself last week and now the big one is ill!

    Great fabrics - I got the Paris map fabric at FoQ when I was with you! I wouldn't have thought those would appeal to you I have to say! Good to stretch your boundaries though!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so glad to hear that you and the girls were finally able to get out and about yesterday-- it sounds like you had a very full, fun and active day! I love the charm pack and jelly roll-- I have not seen that particular fabric line before. That is insane that the cost of a jelly roll works out to be $65 in the UK!! I think they usually run just over $30 here at our LQS, and I only buy them on sale (and usually I get the pre-cuts on-line). And I sign up for the giveaways that really call to me. Hope you found a good pattern/design to use for the fabrics! Looking forward to seeing what you create. Tomorrow I am going to bring my camera with me to take photos of my neighborhood for the Nosey Parker linky (hoping to do the post this week)

    ReplyDelete
  22. So glad the girls are feeling better. Monday should be pure bliss!! I have that book a couple others like it. They are fun to look through but since I have so many ongoing projects I can't seem to find the time to start anything new. I have a goal though....2012 is the year of finishes. Hold me to it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad they are better :) I love Etchings and it's not my normal sort of thing either. It's just really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Phew, glad they're feeling better, and I love that Etchings. Probably wouldn't be top of my normal list of choices, but that map and text may be calling me too...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.