Wednesday 9 November 2011

I Did It! I Did It!!

Me and zippers? Well, I wouldn't exactly call us best friends - yet! But I would say that we are out of counseling and tentatively trying to build a relationship. (Which is more than can be said about me and the Farmer at the moment.) I've tackled two tutorials and one 'I can do this teeny tiny pouch without a tutorial' pouches. I only had to completely pick the stitches out of one. Yes, that would be the one that I thought I knew what I was doing and went out on a limb and tried doing it without a tutorial. But I did manage to correct my mistake and get it right, eventually.

Highlight of all this is most definitely that I have managed to do it and am not now sat glaring at a huge pile of zippers wondering if I can burn them. The low point would be when I forgot to reposition my needle after changing from the zipper foot back to the 1/4" foot. I didn't break it but I did bend it. This would have been okay if I had a replacement - but I didn't. Neither could I go out because I had to wait for a delivery. So I took that needle and with less than delicate force got it as straight as I could and soldiered on.

Yes, I know! I should not be doing that. And no, my machine was not that impressed with me. Eventually the waited for delivery arrived and I hightailed it to town and purchased two packs of needles to cover for the next few mistakes.

So, here are the photos. I am ever so proud of myself. Can't you tell?

This was the last pouch I made but the one I am most proud of.
I am showing them in opposite order here.
I accomplished this with Kat's tutorial, found here.
I am so pleased with the way this looks.
A little bit of stitchery because I could.
Oh, I like this bit. By pure coincidence the cross stitches join perfectly at the bottom of the pouch on the seam.
Pouch two, the charm square one.
This was the one I had to take apart.
Something to do with sewing so that the wrong sides of the fabric were on the outside.
I like the green lining up against the purple zipper.
The first tutorial I did was Ayumi's, found here.
Unfortunately I messed up on the size of fabric I pieced so the zipper didn't sit as well as I would have wished.
Entirely my fault and nothing to do with Ayumi's brilliant tutorial.
I've also had second thoughts on my fabric choice.
A little late for that!


And that is what I did with myself today, besides some more ornaments, and listen to Rhonda on her podcast. And buy more ribbon. Oh speaking of ornaments - someone emailed me and asked where I got the pattern for my crocheted snowflakes. I have been looking for that email to reply but failed in my search so am passing on the information here. I started with this very good tutorial here on Attic 24. I then went and did my own thing once I had the general feel for it. As long as you stick to the six sides it seems to work. What can look like a right old mess when crocheted can turn into the most brilliant snowflake once soaked in Stiffy and pinned according to  your whim. I highly recommend it.

Susan

30 comments:

  1. Well done you Susan for triumphing over adversity - keep up the good work! I have been trying out tailored buttonholes - for when I don't want to do zips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent zippies Susan - love the look of the x stitches on the linen(?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should be very proud, Susan! Those pouches are great! I love the patchwork and hand stitching on the first (second) pouch, and am completely impressed with your zipper tabs. For some reason those things just don't like me. Both pouches look fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Wonderful job. I've had quite a few mediocre zipper jobs myself. I'm still looking for the perfect zipper finish. Love your pouches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course you could do it - I had every confidence. My favourite is the one you made with Kat`s tutorial as I love your fabric choices. Perhaps I need to order some zippers from Zippety...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and what was all that worry about! Put those Stressy Knickers away! Wya to go Susan! They are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done! They look fantastic! Love the cross-stitch detail and how it match up! FAB!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're wonderful! Well done - will you be making zippered pouches by the dozen now?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful, it's a good thing you have a stack of zippers, now that you are a pro.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're the zipper queen now! These are fabulous! Well done! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how you jumped in and not just made ONE pouch but three!!! They are definitely on my 'to-do' list!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww you did really well. Zippers don't bother me at all - but zippy pouches seem to have become my nemesis after the pretty little pouch swap disaster pouch!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey... your pouches look really lovely! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  14. 90% of me is wildly thrilled for you that you managed to conquer your zip block. The other 10% is a little sad because apparently I am the only dumbarse left in the universe that doesn't know how to do zips.

    Your pouches and their inserted zips look brilliant my friend. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the zippers!! Pinned Kat tute - that's a beauty, well done x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bravo! Your zippy pouch looks fabulous, Susan. Zips aren't so scary anymore, are they? Well done, you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. goooooooooo susan!! said in your best cheerleaders style.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay, go you battling those mean old zippers into submission ;o) The pouches look fab :o)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, first stiffy, now zippers, not sure what's next! ;-)

    Really, though, I'm quite impressed! You've conquered my big phobia. I may have to screw up my courage and try it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations! You are hilarious, I love your posts, you make me laugh out loud all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yey!!! They are so lovely!

    I made 2 last night... nowhere near as nice as yours. Still proud though. Blog later :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. You certainly rocked it - rock on girlfriend. Where did the 80s go? They are right here! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  23. lovely zippies and you got to do the ends great i can never seem to get that bit right !!mine are always sort of squashed !!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your pouches are great :-) I think you definitely conquered the zipper!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Woo hoo! Well done, they look fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my goodness, your volumes are huge (snigger)...seriously, you've made loads and loads..well done! and the zippys look ziptastic...broken a few needles in the last few days myself! x

    ReplyDelete
  27. you did a wonderful job on these. I like the addition of the little cross-stitches, too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well done you, they look fantastic!! Your zips are so incredibly neat at the edges, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great job Susan, sewing zips strikes fear in most every sewist. I love the hand stitching details and wish I was even half as prolific as you are.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.