Saturday 5 November 2011

Four Pounds of Dried Fruit

It was sometime the middle of the past week that I realised that I hadn't made the Christmas cake over half term as per the usual pattern. And the girls wanted to help make it this year. That eliminated getting it done during the week. So this afternoon has been a flurry of measuring and mixing, with my two little helpers.

It is the first year they have helped with the actual cake. They are always involved in the other Christmas baking but the cake was something I did with my mother. Which is a bit of a fib, because until recently my mother made the cake and brought it with her when she and my stepfather came to us for Christmas. I have been a very spoiled madam for years and I think this is only about the fourth time I have had to make a Christmas cake in my life.

I gave the girls separate tasks, mainly to keep them from squabbling and me from losing the plot. Helen was on dried fruit duty.


Emily was on eggs and flour, etc.


What was I thinking let her do this in her dance leotard?!
Please note in the above photo the way I was reduced to using purple yarn to keep the greaseproof paper on the baking tin. I have endured ten years of the girls nicking my string and never returning it. There must be a black hole somewhere that is filled to the brim with balls of string I have purchased and never seen again!

Oh and the eggs Emily is cracking. They are so fresh that when I went to the farm to purchase them there weren't enough available so Sally (the farm lady) went out to the coop to collect some. I got eggs that were still warm from the hens bottoms. Can't get more fresh than that!

The cake is now in the oven and destined to be there for hours to come. I may have to rethink what to have for dinner. Forgot to factor the time the cake took to bake into the equation. Hmmmm. Must go have a ponder. Shall do that while I pin more snowflakes into submission while Stiffy does its thing to them. (Oh, doesn't that doesn't read so well!!! But can't be bothered to think of a more genteel way of wording it. Never mind.)

Susan

16 comments:

  1. Love the baking photos and the fact that Emily bakes in her leotard! Your home is going to smell wonderful this evening! Hope Mr Stiffy works wonders again *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yarn round the baking tin - lovely touch but is it fireproof? I used to make a Christmas cake but can`t get all the ingredients here so if I`m not overweight (not me but the baggage allowance) I bring some of my mum`s home with me. She always threatens not to make one as `no-one eats it` which must be a wind up as I LOVE Christmas cake. I`ve been tinkering in my profile - could you see if I`m still an NRB when you have a mo? Ta!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the bakin photos.You have two new talented baker!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you all don leotards for the making? Is it a particularly energetic recipe? I actually don't like fruit cake so have never made one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That last paragraph may well bring you some interested new followers.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. you dont half love your stiffy dont you... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. When we shipped our stuff from the UK to Australia we also received somebody else's box which contained lots of new bin liners, a couple of old irons that didn't work and about 5 rolls of string! So if you ever need any, I have plenty! :)

    Confession - I put my Christmas tree up already!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! I LOVE Christmas cake - the more boozy the better. I've never made a Christmas cake in my life though (I can tell you're surprised!). Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you have at least 2 tonnes of marzipan for that! In fact a marzipan block with a cherry on top would do me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish i liked Christmas cake as it seems like a lovely tradition to make it with the kids but I can't hack all the dried fruit, now the marzipan and icing is a different matter of course :)

    Did have a good chuckle at the last paragraph!

    ReplyDelete
  11. my husband is the only one that eats christmas cake, so we rely on his mum to make it - in years gone past i've made a pud and got everyone in the house to give it a stir and make a wish - but again, lloyd is the only one who eats it so that's stopped too - i make a nice boiled fruit cake that more people eat - actually, might go and see if i've got any sultanas....laters!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're one up on me. I've never made Christmas cake. Nobody here eats it.

    Your helpers look like they're enjoying themselves. I love fresh eggs, but could have done without the mental image.

    And then you followed it up with stiffy ....I had a serious attack of the giggles.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lol. snigger. Mr Stiffy. Ooooohohohoh.
    I'm a bit spoiled as my Mam always makes the cake. I don't like fruit cake. Perhaps I will make the effort next year as I know my husband likes it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Send your bakers down to teach my crew would you Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum, enjoy the cake! I always used to help my mum make ours, and always loved the fact that because my dad wanted an identical one for his birthday cake (a few weeks later) we'd make both at the same time, so after the batter stage it literally had to be mixed through by hand (and arm) never mind licking the bowl after, I got both hands and arms too :oD

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm with hadley... never mind the cake, just give me the marzipan and icing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.