Wednesday 23 November 2011

A New Start

I feel like it has been ages since I started a new quilting project. Which is weird because I made that quilt for John last week. But that top was cut out already, and half pieced. I didn't have to think about it. No pondering required. Today I started a new project and I have to say I am loving the feel of it, the cutting, the planning, the sewing. And this has to be finished quickly so there won't be a big hiatus halfway through making it while I drift off and do something else.

I took my jelly roll book -


And my Etchings jelly roll -



I decided on the Garden Trellis pattern, at least to start me off. Once I have the basic blocks cut I may decide to then do my own thing with them. I am undecided at this point. Following the pattern is dead easy, and it reminded me that I should use my quilting books for planning my quilts more often. Because this taught me how to make a simple block in the most incredibly simple way.

Most of you probably already know all about how to do this and are rolling your eyes at me, telling me to get with the program. But for me it is brand new, so please indulge me and I shall show you the easy steps I followed.


1. Take two contrasting strips and sew them together, then press seams to dark side.
2. Repeat the above stop, and when you have two sets of sewn together strips place one on top of the other -
right sides together, dark side matched to opposing light side. Sew quarter inch seams on both sides of the length.
3. Get your Omnigrid 98L cutting triangle. You don't have one?! Either do I. I got my 9.5" square ruler.
Place the 45 degree angle that runs diagonally across  your ruler on the edge of the strip.
Match the corner of your ruler to the edge of the fabric. Cut along the angle as shown above.
Slide your ruler down to the opposite edge to create the next triangle and continue cutting triangles until you have as many as you can from the strip. You should get eight.
4. Carefully remove the small line of stitches along the point of the triangle.
5. Press open and you have a perfect little 6" square.
6. Have a play with various layout like this...
... or this...
... or this.
7. Sew more strips together to make more blocks.
And that is as far as I got today. Though I can brag that I have clean loos and a lot less thread ends on the floor. I even have a clean cooker top! I would call this another great day.

Susan

24 comments:

  1. Thanks for that Susan, I have a guilty jelly roll that I shouldnt have brought that needs use! (and I dont need to ask for the book to do it now!) Can you tell me what size the stips are in your roll? Mine was from an unknown fabric house and I think they may not be 'standard' size strips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is looking really pretty. I keep thinking that one day I will buy a jelly roll. Then I think, I need to finish off the two quilt tops I have started and have never finished, they are nice ones too! Maybe that could be my reward to myself after finishing at least one of the quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the mini tutorial Susan - how clever! I want to start a new project but just waiting on thread and fabric - you know, the basics?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooo looking forward to seeing more of that quilt-in-the-making :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a jelly roll sitting waiting for some attention, now I know exactly what I'll do with it. I love the diamond pattern, thanks Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liking the look of this. Generally if there is an easy way of doing something and a hard way I will find the hard way every time until someone or some book points out the error of my ways!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, look at your very neat sewing!! I have that book too, there is loads that I want to make. I made Tim and Zoes wedding quilt out of that one, 1st time I had ever used a jelly roll: they are great to use!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those fabrics are working up lovely. It's gonna be a fab quilt - I can feel it in my water! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. OooH! You are on a roll! (Sorry, couldn't resist that!) A new quilt started, a new technique perfected AND a clean house! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love how easy this looks. Hmm, now I've got even more options for the 2 jelly rolls I have - argh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that fabric now that I've seen what you're doing with it. It's lovely!

    Im not eye rolling at you because this idea was new to me too. What a cool and fast way to make perfect blocks. Im all about making it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just mind your hands and don't go wringing out too many cloths or you might end up in the same state as me! I love those nifty little magic triangles into squares. If only (sob!) . . . One for next year maybe!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was just doing some similar piece work with a new book I got - the name escapes me right now, but I'll find it. I mixed an Innocent Crush 1/2 jelly role with white to get a diamond effect. I'll have to post the progress on my blog. I had a snow day (first one of the season in Kingston ON) from work so I managed to cut, piece and sew together the top - I think I'll be adding borders to make it a little bigger. How funny is it that I just decided to try this same method :)
    I can't wait to see what you decide!
    allisonrbight{at}gmail{dot}com

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is going to be such a beautiful quilt! AND such a productive days too! You'll be starting something else new by the weekend at this rate! lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Clearly you are on a good roll! Your blocks look great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay for shortcuts, lovely quilts and clean loos xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cool blocks but just a little smug on the loo & cooker front......

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the etchings fabric especially the map print! Such a great way to make blocks - I have a couple of Jelly Rolls here so am interested in what you end up with:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. gorgeous - and i've got that book too - must look into it more closely

    ReplyDelete
  20. once again you have made something that sparks my interest. I'll be watching for a finish.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So interesting. This is kind of like my Lattice Illusions quilt. Just really have a good think RE contrast and pattern and you'll be grand. I found you also need a good place for your eye to rest or else I got dizzy looking at it. Can't wait to see what you create!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i was watching missouri star quilt co on you tube do that the other day and it looked a great way to work ,looking good susan !

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooh I didn't know this either, thanks for sharing! I'm all inspired, though I have TWO quilts to finish for Christmas before I start anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm working backwards through my unread posts so I've already seen the finished (almost finished?!) top but I wanted to tell you that I love all the variations you can make with the triangles!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.