Monday 28 November 2011

Backing Track

Today I have dedicated to sorting out the backing for the Etchings quilt top. Easier said than done because somehow this quilt has turned out bigger than planned (if ever there was a plan) at about 60" square. I had the yardage for the backing, but needed to sew in a pieced bit to make up the difference between the width of the fabric and the width of the quilt. The problem lay in the fact that I had little fabric left and no budget to get more.

So I gathered every last scrap together. Including the half pieces from either end of the sewn together jelly roll strips from piecing the front.


I stitched my little heart out, searching for more scraps as I went. Eventually I came up with two strips which I have sewn into the backing fabric.



I know it is quite a mishmash, but I think I did okay with what I had. All that's left now is basting, quilting, and the binding - for which I have seven jelly roll strips to use for that purpose. Should take me no time at all. (Yeah, right!)

I am sorry I am sounding a little apathetic. I would prefer to be sleeping if truth be told. Thank you for all the kind comments I received. I haven't responded to many emails yet, but I do believe that I am not ill so much as a little bit run down. Oh, I do hate that phrase! I'll be right as rain in a day or two. And I did get unexpected post today which really brightened my mood. Because who wouldn't be brighter when faced with a package containing this -



The lovely Catherine, over at Sew Wonderful Life, sent it as a thank you for organising the Modern Christmas Tablerunner Swap. Just the fact that the swap seems to have been a success and I was so lucky to have the most wonderful bunch of women sign up and participate so actively was enough for me. But I never say no to chocolate (as some of you may know) and aren't those gingerbread men just adorable? The girls are going to fall in love with them when they come home from school! So a huge thank you to Catherine for the treat and for cheering up a rather dull day.

Susan

19 comments:

  1. The backing looks great, hope the layering and quilting goes well! Love the gingerbread men and I hope the chocolate has helped lift your spirits - such a kind thing to do. Feel better soon and please don't reply to this - get some rest instead! Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. the gingers are fab enjoy your choccie fest ............notice it says on the wrapper more to share !!!
    you backing is looking great think it is a job well done and so quick when you are not too well !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CUTE!!! Love them!

    Be honest now... how much of the choccie is left???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just catching up on a few missed posts - sorry you're a bit under the weather. Hope you're feeling more like yourself in a day or two. BTW the quilt is beautiful, really love the reds that warm it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done at managing to get the back pieced. I'm really bad at using up all my scraps. Maybe I should make more quilts rather than bags LOL

    Fell better soon x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you worked in the leftover scraps for the back of the quilt-- it gives it character! Glad it worked out and you had enough fabric. What a sweet surprise in the mail-- lucky you! Enjoy! Hope your feeling back to your self very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you liked your mail :-) The back of your quilt looks amazing, I love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think it looks like a mishmash at all. It think it looks really cool! Brilliant use of left overs. You need to go and rest now so you're back on top form asap! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ditto Helen and Jan`s comments - backing looks amazingly unmishmashlike and don`t respond - just rest up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your backing is fab! i always think its great using up all the scraps like that! Cute gingerbread men too!! Rest up! We understand! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I;m a big fan of scrappy looking backs so looking at yours is kind of thrilling my little heart. Great job with using what you had. It looks terrific.

    Very cute gingerbread men.

    Take care of yourself. You've been busy ministering to the sick and working like a demon for weeks. You just need to blob round doing not much for a few days !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your back looks great! I love the organized scrappy-ness of it. Well done!
    How great is miss C? That's so super nice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That backing looks fab, you definitely deserve a day or 2 to recharge your batteries now, especially as there's that whole bar of Galaxy to keep you company...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your pieced back. Congrats on using all of the little bits.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done on the backing - couldn't have planned it better! Bet the chocolate has gone!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the scrappy backing - the fabrics look amazing against the red!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your backside!! BUT I do think you need to practice what you preach my good friend....have a lay down!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the backing, I am sure that must be improv piecing. Hope you feel better soon, I had a rotten virusy type cold thingy there for about 12 days, felt rough but it did go.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now your quilt back is as awesome as the front! The red really makes the patchwork strips pop out! Fab! Hope you feel your (not so old) self soon! Take it easy. Jxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.