Friday 16 September 2011

All Things Being Equal

I have been having such a good time today. I came to a decision for my DS Doll Quilt Swap quilt and went with it. Do I have a drawing? Of course not! Going with that vision in my head again. It isn't always 20/20 vision, but it works for me.

The basis of my doll quilt is going to be hexies. But hexies made with equilateral triangles. And I had a revelation - because I love them! I mean I am having seriously too much fun making these babies. All credit has to be given to the Go! Baby, because you and I both know that I wouldn't be doing any of this if it involved strenuous hand cutting and complicated maths. I am far too lazy for that, and like my quick results for instant satisfaction.

I cut fabric, did the Go! Baby thing and got piecing. These little triangles have all their corners already trimmed so matching them up and doing a little chain piecing is a breeze.


Would I have  Go! Baby if I hadn't won one? No. I know for a fact that I wouldn't. But now that I have one I can say, for me, it will change how I quilt at times. If I can cut blocks like the Drunkard's Path, for my bee blocks, without a bother then I will try something new. If I can do hexies, and triangles too, then I will give them a go. Without the cutter I would still be avoiding things like this like the plague.


If that happened then I wouldn't have whole a pile of hexies like this to show you from a mornings work.


And I wouldn't have received back these beautiful bee blocks from Judith. Thank you very much, Judith, you did a brilliant job.


So, this Friday my Favourite Thing is equilateral triangles. Love them! Going to go do some more of them. Thinking of all the things I could do with them. HSTs move aside, I think I am going to be on an equilateral kick instead! If you are curious what else people have as their favourite things then head on over to Quilting In My Pyjamas and have a look.


For a less than favourite thing Friday, its going to be tomatoes. More specifically, the tomato plants that I slaved over from seed, nurtured and loved. They turned on me as soon as I planted them outside. Seems they were less than pleased with the rather dismal start we had to our summer. They never forgave me. This is all I have got from five tomato plants this year.


How absolutely pathetic is that?! And now that autumn has kicked in early I'm not standing around waiting for some late bloomers. Waited long enough for these babies!

Susan

24 comments:

  1. I'm sure next year will be better for tomatoes - not sure it could be any worse looking at that photo! Make something nice with them! I love your hexagon blocks, they look great! More wonderful bee blocks - when do we get to see a group shot?! Nice to hear your thoughts on your Go Baby...glad you like it as much as you thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only a handful, but they look very delicious/ You should savor them. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your triangle hexagons are lovely, and I can't wait to see your finished bee quilt it will look awesome. Would you reccommend a Go! Baby because I've been saving for one, but I'm not sure.

    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Those hexies are so lovely! Glad to see Go! Baby is making you more adventurous. Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had fun with the baby today - such pretty little hexies...and don`t be too mean to the tomatoes - they don`t get a lot of sun do they? x

    ReplyDelete
  6. You GO! Baby! Check you out getting all adventurous! lol Those hexi's are just gorgeous! and those tommies look pretty sweet too! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh stop it with the triangles, they're just too nice ;) Seriously they are fab!

    I'm having real Go Baby envy I avoid triangles and such as I'm rubbish at accurate sewing and maths and me just don't compute. Plus I get put off by the thought of cutting out a trillion pieces with my rotary cutter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i forgot you had the Go!Baby...looks like it makes easy work of awkward cutting,lucky you!
    Shame about your tomotoes, there is nothing tastier that home made tomato soup with home grown tomato soup

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I get what you mean about the Go... I certainly wouldnt be arsed cutting out loads of awkward shapes... so I try endlessly to win a GO! But I dont think I'd use one quite enough to justify the huge cost of buyin one.... I'm awffy glad you got one though, your triangles are looking really really lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Get you, Go! expert, I am just going to carry on being jealous - so tough lucky on the tomatoes! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE those blocks ! Your doll quilt is going to be absolutely beautiful. I can completely relate to this being a favourite for you this week. It's not even my quilt and I'm excited!

    My next quilt has the equilateral triangle thing going on too.

    Damn those tomatoes. Don't they know how hard you worked ?

    ReplyDelete
  12. your hexies look so pretty and love the drunkards path - must make that one of these days.....

    and your toms - savour them! - there's nothing quite like the taste of sun-warmed cherry toms, eaten raw, straight off the plant....mmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  13. Unlike Hadley I am going to state my jealousy right from the Go! (pun intended). I am jealous with a ting of covetous! I left work early today and attempted some sewing (not very successfully). It was an UGH kinda sewing day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jealous of that Go - not me! I'm just going to get all fabric deliveries addressed to Susan with cutting instructions! Lol! You need the practice! Don't you Susan!?

    Hexies look lovely and well done Judith on the DPs - looking forward to seeing both quilts!

    No tomato chutney then?? Little Blighters!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the DS blocks - can't wait to see what you make form them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my those hexies look AMAZING! What a lucky partner!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lucky You! Those hexies are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those hexies are lovely .. sorry about the tomatos :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. You know I'm not sure how I feel about the Go! Baby. So glad you're here to help me sort through my issues :)

    Judith's blocks rock! I can't wait to see this spectacular quilt of yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I won a Go Baby too. It really does make cutting those awkward shapes much much easier and quicker. Those hexies look fabulous. Can't wait to see your plan for them.
    Sorry to hear about the tomatoes, very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful blocks. I have tomato envy...I have some seedlings coming up from some seeds so we will have to wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your hexies and triangles are fabulous! I can't wrap my head around creating them.

    Alas, I have no green thumb, so I think your tomatoes are quite lovely. Happy FTF! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the equalateral triangles too. Haven't given in to the Go Baby craze I think I have enough gadgets don't need another one, but the blocks look pretty cool. We haven't put in any tomatoes maybe after our holiday, will have to swipe some from BIL.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.