Wednesday 25 April 2012

Stained Backing

It was one of those days. Rain, gloom, kids in school, so I decided to sew. Not do house work. Nor other necessary stuff. Just sew. After doing some more curtain alterations for my neighbours (who are just about the nicest people you ever want to meet) I proceeded to tackle the job that I have been avoiding. Because I had to cut out lots more different bits of fabric to make my backing for Stained Colourful. 

And I got on with it. I cut. I sewed. I forgot to eat lunch. Until just before the school run at which point I supplemented my non-existent diet with chocolate. Yup, that's how to keep everything in balance!

I decided to go with a very simple backing for Stained. I want to use this quilt for me, me, me. As my Across the Seas quilt already resides on the sofa I wanted them to look like they could live together very nicely side by side. So taking my cue from the back of the ATS quilt, which looked like this as a quick reminder - 

O-kay, so apparently I didn't take a proper photo of the back.
Sorry, but you get a glimpse here.

I pieced together five more of the square Stained blocks and then used Kona Snow, the same as my sashing, for the remainder of the back. I am hoping it looks good once quilted because I am having major doubts right now. But as it is all cut and sewn I will be using this backing whether I am in love with it or, more pertinently, not!

You know it is a murky day when you hang it in a window
and you can't tell because the light is so bad.

I tried a million and one ways of placing the blocks but
none of them made me happy so I ended up with this.

The rumpled look on the kitchen floor.

Well, it may have to grow on me. But at least I have done it. Wonder how long it will take for me to muster the energy to baste it?

Susan

24 comments:

  1. Seeing your ATS backing brings back happy happy memories! I think your backing is great and can`t wait to see a `real` ta-dah moment...very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baste it tonight! It is wonderful and you are so going to love having that quilt on your sofa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have basted it already to be honest!
    The backing will look perfect once you have quilted it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks bright and sunny, even on a cloudy day! I'm doing a similar thing with the no.1 blocks, maybe down the centre of the back! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that back! By the time I have got to the back of any quilt, my creativity has left the building ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it looks great....even in a drought!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Back looks fabulous! It'll go with your ATS one perfectly too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't take too long to baste, because it is going to look fab when it is finished!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love pieced backs and this one is just great. Di xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the back - what a great idea!! Is it ready to quilt yet?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it Susan! What better than a rainy sewing day! I'm very envious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great back and it'll co-ordinate wonderfully with your ATS quilt

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a fab idea and it looks really great

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like that you are putting as much thought into the back as the front!...and as for the chocolate lunch...well now I know your dieting tips...I think I know where I've been going wrong LOL :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sure it'll all look fab when it's together!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is going to be perfect - have no worries as a serial back piecer I am convinced!

    Just get those curtains done so we can see this finished in June! Show & tell!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it! Think it looks just great and I can't wait to see it done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. you will love it when you get thru

    ReplyDelete
  19. your proportions are perfect - earthier way its wonderful. I´t will be just fab.

    ReplyDelete
  20. well I like it. So that's all that matters right ;P HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  21. I thinks it's a lovely back too! I think you'll love it when it's finished too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The back looks amazing! Very clever idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like it and will look forward to seeing a finish very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like it too, I think you can't see the forest for the trees on this one. Embrace it and baste it! It's going to be an absolutely fabulous quilt, both front and back.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.