Saturday 14 April 2012

Not One to be Left Out...

... I have hopped on the Siblings Together bandwagon. The response Lynne  has got for her request to anyone who was willing to donate quilts, fabric, sewing time, whatever they could for this cause has been phenomenal. I think people recognise a good cause when they see it and it is nice to be able to help in a unique way. I will not go into the charity further, other than to say it is to give children in care something special of their own to help them through the tough spots that abound when they are separated from their siblings for whatever reasons. If you want to know more then follow this link please.

A few days ago Katy posted some photos on her blog of fabric she was willing to donate to anyone who would like to make a quilt for Siblings Together. I thought about it for about a nano second and waved my hand in the air frantically for the stack of purple and pink solids. She promptly posted them to me and here is what I got -


And now I  need to make a quilt top. I had a look through my stash to see if I had any purples that could be used with the solids to add a touch more girlishness to the quilt. To soften it a bit. I came up with four that I thought would work with these shades of purple.


As for pattern, well I have long loved a quilt made by Leanne and borrowed from her idea on the most basic of levels.

DSC_0513
This is Leanne's photo.
You can read more about this amazing quilt here.
If you are ever looking for inspiration and don't already follow Leanne's blog
then get yourself over there. She is simply awesome!

I thought if I did log cabin blocks and used a chunk of the pink solid in the middle and then had the purples working their way out that would be the best use of the fabrics I had. Each block would have two strips of one of the print fabrics as well.

I've done two blocks, with the purples working their way from darker to lighter in the opposite direction in each block.



The blocks work out to be approximately 15" square - well, once I have taken the ruler and rotary cutter to them they will be! I am planning on twelve of these blocks, then some sashing around the outer edge of the quilt and hopefully it will look good. (You cannot see my fingers crossed behind my back here!)

Susan

26 comments:

  1. this will be perfect and so lovely for a young girl to call her own

    ReplyDelete
  2. I predict it will be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful colours... well done you for waving your hand xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the plan, gorgeous stack of solids too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is going to be fab and for such a good cause too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Purple is a favourite colour of lots of little girls and so I'm sure it will be appreciated and loved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, this will be perfect, so many young girls love pink and purple.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So lovely of you - going to be a very pretty quilt - can't wait to see your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a fab idea, and nice touch with the random patterned fabrics

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking good! I like the florals contrasting with all the solids!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks yummy already! As a lover of purple I think any young girl will enjoy these colours. It's going to be gorgeous! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good plan and the first two blocks are lovely. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  13. great fabric choice....the quilt will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The fabrics and your plan are excellent, it will be a great quilt. I am blushing - thank you for saying such nice things.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These blocks are perfect for the purples - it will be so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. gorgeous - and the log cabin block is sooo effective - this'll be a wonderful quilt susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. How cool that Katy is offering fabric. How cool that you jumped on it and have started creating. This is going to be simply awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think Leanne is one of the most inspirational quilters around - she is undeniably awesome. Back to your quilt - so lovely and a beautiful stack from Katy who is even sending me some backing fabric for one of my quilts. So amazingly generous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's going to be a fabulous quilt! And I agree about Leanne being awesome!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.