Sunday 15 April 2012

Purple Power!

I would have failed as a frontiers woman if I had been expected to build a genuine log cabin house. I would have been drummed out of the wilderness; sent packing for the city. Because as a quilter I totally lost the plot keeping my blocks consistent. It's a good thing the only log cabins I will ever build are in fabric because I am confident they will hold together.

Even if I kept changing direction, and coming up under measurement with a completed block. Oh, and I managed to piece one block into the quilt top upside down. I didn't notice until it was completed though. Of course I didn't. If I built a log cabin in reality it would fall down about my ears I am sure.

Despite all of these flaws I am really happy with the completed Siblings together quilt top. It is gloriously purple, and girlie, and I hope it will be loved.

The quilt top was a little playful at the photo shoot.

It took far more tries than you see here before I managed to get a usable shot.

It got worse before it got better.

But perseverance pays off.

And one of those blocks is the upside down one.
Well, it wouldn't be right if there wasn't a mistake in there somewhere.
Pretty well everything I made has a 'mistake' somewhere in it.

I think I might have some fabric that will work for the backing. I will have a dig about tomorrow and see. If it isn't big enough then I will have to think really hard because there aren't enough of the fabrics used on the quilt top to piece together for a backing. I will have a phenomenally scrappy binding though by the looks of things.

Susan

35 comments:

  1. Great job Susan! It is looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it`s amazing and is such a gorgeous quilt - it`s sure to be loved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's brilliant - is there a right and wrong way? See how much I know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I LOVE it! It's making me feel all nostalgic for my '70s purple carpet! I'm sure someone in the Siblings Together group would have backing they could donate to you. Just put the request out there in flickr and watch the responses of help flood in! jxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun quilt Susan! And you're right, a little girl somewhere is going to love it and it's going to make her feel special ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it Susan! But then, I'm a purple lover anyway.
    It's going to make someone very happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is wonderful and since it is a quilt, there is no up or down so it is all fine. Even in the wilderness they need warm blankets so you would have found a place as a frontier woman, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My! You are quick... No flies on you! The quilt is great and will make some girl very happy. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't even see which block has a mistake! It looks fantastic, well done, it will be cherished by someone

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks fantastic :-) I really struggle with Log cabins for some reason, they end up massively wonky however I do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's lovely. I love the idea of Siblings Together and what everyone in the quilting community is doing. I wish I had either the time, fabric or money to get involved. Instead I will just sit in the side lines and quietly applaud your generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It turned out beautiful! You really did that quickly too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh it's beautiful and I can't find the upside down one, gosh your quick with your flimsies :) someones going to be very happy snuggling under that

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty! I think that, as long as the fabrics you've used aren't directional, then it doesn't matter which way round the blocks are!
    R x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sure, the Amish are supposed to build in a mistake to everything to show they aren't perfect, I'd go with the fact that you're adhering to that principle... ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. your's look great you ought to see my first attempt

    ReplyDelete
  17. Susan that looks great and some lonely sibling will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can't spot the upside down block from here! I think it is one of those things..you don't notice it unless you're told about it! I love the pretty random pink/mauve border!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it Susan! An upside down block is not a mistake though, it's a unique quirk ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the purpley goodness Susan - this will put a big smile on a child's face! Beeyootifool!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Now I'm not usually a huge fan of purple quilts, but this is really lovely!
    And it looks perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Its lovely Susan and all the best quilters add a mistake in somewhere. Log cabins are supposed to be scrappy and visually interesting and I think you nailed it chick.

    I cant see any mistake !

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful job with this quilt! Love the colours and the blocks. I'm sure it's going to make a child very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love these pretty log cabins - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is nothing short of purply perfection. No mistake can be found on my part. Someone will be very blessed to receive this.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You're right, there's a purple loving girl who will adore this.

    ReplyDelete
  28. this is beautiful!! Love the log cabins and can see no errors! Just loveliness x

    ReplyDelete
  29. It looks great and I can't spot the mistake either. Someone is going to love that quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Well I live "Down Under"... so you've got ONE perfect block and all the others are upside down! Fix them all up straight away or I'll get the Ozzie Quilt Police on to you!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's a great quilt top! Purple is one of my favorite colors and combined with the pink - it will make someone very happy to get it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.