Thursday 19 June 2014

Tah-Da!

This must be an all time record for me. I started cutting this quilt 12 days ago. I popped out to London, and made a cushion to add variety to my days - but otherwise I stayed focused.Today I finished the DS quilt while sat at Ange's house, nattering away a mile a minute (as I am prone to do).


Finishing it at Ange's house had several benefits. (a) I had someone to hold up the quilt for me so I could take a photo And she is taller than me so it wasn't dragging on the grass, nor did we have to bring out a chair for her to stand on. (b) Her garden provides a myriad of photo opportunities. I may aim to finish all my quilts there just to take advantage of this in the future.


This quilt comprises of 42 9" Shoo Fly blocks. All fabrics used are by Denyse Schmidt, mostly the reprint of Flea Market Fancy, but a few others thrown in. The background is Kona White. The thread - as per usual - is Aurifil 50w 2600, which is the soft dove grey. I used this for the quilting as well as the piecing.


I backed it with Spot On in Chartreuse, the wide cut so no piecing occurred to make up the back. The binding is scrappy, all DS fabrics to go with the blocks.


The finished quilt measures up at 60" x 69". It is off to Canada in a very short time as our wedding present to my niece.


By the time I took to stuffing the quilt in the nook in the tree I decided I probably had enough photos. But as you can see Ange's garden does offer up an ideal backdrop, and the various benches and children's play equipment are all suitable photo props. I encourage you to get friendly with Ange and take advantage of her lovely garden. She also makes yummy bacon sandwiches and ever so good lemon cake.

Thank you, Ange, for a lovely day as well as the use of your garden.

Susan

41 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous present! Great fabrics and brilliant quilting! Wish I was closer Ange is the perfect quilty hostess ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome at mine anytime you're in the area Lucy :o)

      Delete
  2. One of your best ' ta das' to date. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect in every respect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's seriously gorgeous and worth all the quilty wrestling on your machine. And yay for Ange providing great location, company and food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Ange could you move a bit nearer? I know you love the joys of moving house! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, never again! but you know where to find me if you're up this way. x

      Delete
  6. Beautiful!! I would have adored a wedding present like this, so much better than towels and kitchen ware. I am always impressed when others sew quickly, it takes me ages to get anything done and I don't really have any excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're welcome at mine pretty much any time for quilty chat and cake eating :o). And glad to see i'm not the only one who is rubbish at beautifully folding quilts for arty shots hahahaha! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic garden backdrop - she should rent it out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great quilt, and really love the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! And the garden looks great too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely gorgeous. Your niece is going to be thrilled.

    By the way Im very impressed by how fast this one got made too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great phot shoot and lovely finish for your quilt. Your spiral quilting looks brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome Quilt. Your Niece and he Groom will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw what a lovely wedding present! It has turned out brilliantly! And great pics too! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Friends and Finishes. . . . fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a great finish Susan! Love all of the fabrics you have used and the spiral quilting looks fabulous. I am keen to try a scrappy binding on my RLD quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow... 12 days. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the quilt, the photos are lovely too. I am not sure about bacon sandwiches, but I am hoping you will enjoy one for me all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  20. well done, the chartreuse backing is just perfect for it too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Woohoo! Gorgeous stuff, and I love all the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Absolutely perfect wedding present, well done, Susan! I envy you your speed, and your proximity to Ange's baking and sandwiches ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's wonderful!! I can't believe how speedy you've been with this - it's taken me nigh on two months to trim and attach (to the front!) the binding on a quilt...I'm hoping to have the back stitched down in time for the close of the FAL at the end of the month but I'm not holding my breath!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great job, well done... perhaps some of your speediness will rub off on me next week - I have two quilts just waiting patiently to be finished, and another one in my head that I really, really want to start!
    Happy weekend,
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice job on the quilt, and I love that you visit other people's gardens for photo shoots lol

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely quilt and well done on maximising the photo opportunities in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ange we are all coming to take photo in your garden - hope your arms are strong! Great quilt Susan - love this block and DS has got to be good! Bon voyage quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a gorgeous quilt Susan, and the quilting is fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great quilt! I love the quilting. I've never tasted Ange's lemon cake as she's never made any for us Gui, d buddies :0 (

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love that quilt! did you do the quilting yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Amazing finish Susan! And so quick!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful quilt - you'd never think that you'd made it so quickly!

    I hadn't realised that Ange had such a beautiful garden - lucky you to live so close x

    ReplyDelete
  33. A lovely gift taken in a beautiful garden.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful quilt Susan! Worth all the time quilting in rings. Ange's garden provides a lovely photo background. Did the sun forget to come out though?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.