Wednesday 4 June 2014

A Barn Raising

I continued the efforts to tick boxes today and get things done. First up was the next round in the Brit Bee medallion quilts. I had two 6" borders and two 6" stars to add to Trudi's quilt top. Once again, as we are keeping progress a secret from each other I can only show you sneaky peeks so that Trudi doesn't get much of an idea of what fabrics we are using, etc.


Next up was Cindy's barn block for Stitch Tease. I really enjoyed making this block. It was the first time I had done one and Cindy had given us links to some great tutorials so I didn't make up the block myself; just chose which quilt block to put on the side of the barn and what fabrics to use. Cindy had told us that we didn't need to stick to traditional reds and browns. I took her at her word. I hope she doesn't regret it.


We were also instructed to put our name and state (or country) on the block. So I sucked up my courage and concentration skills, and did my with FMQ. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be to do and I am really pleased with how it came out. A little bit wonky but I seem to spend my life wonky, particularly my photography skills, so maybe I did it just right.

Susan 

16 comments:

  1. I think your FMQ lettering looks amazing! I'm sure if I tried that right now it would be an illegible mess ;) Great block!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You nailed it ! And the barn is beautiful in non traditional colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice peeks and I love the colours in the barn too. The lettering is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your FMQ looks amazing! It'll be a pen for me :) p.s I need your expert input on a perle hand quilting query - see a blog post I did a couple of days ago...please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving your barn and your fmq is brill! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go you on the FMQ, I'll be grabbing the pen (now that you've reminded me!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A purple barn is perfect! Any farm animal would choose that over boring red.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Once again, the bee sneak peeks are driving me mental and I can't wait for the grand reveal.

    Your barn block is super! I'd like that WAY more than a traditional red/brown barn. With one of those, it would be way easier to give folks direction to my house! Turn left at the purple polka dot barn and you're there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your barn! Thank you so much. I'm excited to put all these beautiful barns together for my quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice blocks and the FM writing looks good to me. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sis,

    Well it's been a long time since Blog Number 1 on February 09, 2011 entitled First Post Fear. 1212 days to be exact. You got over the "Fear" very quickly. What am I going on about? Well this blog is your 999th (!!!) - only one more to go until your 1000th blog birthday. Congratulations on keeping it going for such a long time. I think it has been somewhat life changing for you! I don't know how you've kept up the pace - one blog on average every 1.2 days. Wow. Keep it up, I think your "regulars" are depending on you. Make sure you tell everyone you are 1000 blogs old with your next one.

    Cheers,

    Big Bro

    ReplyDelete
  12. Blimey - I thought your machine had embroidered the names!! Clever clogs you! And I'm totally giggling at Big Bro's comment above!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Who doesn't love a purple barn? Looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant! Love barn and FMQ writing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that FMQ writing, it's so neat!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.