Monday 16 June 2014

A Very British Gift

Today was a cold and grey day. A bit of a shock really as the temperatures have been very nice the past little while. But it made for a good day to run errands, do the neccesary and - eventually - sew. Which means that I got my latest quilt as you go cushion finished just before I sprinted off on the school run. (I may have pushed my leaving time just a little but!)


As I showed the other day, I pulled all my fussy cuts with a British theme that were in red, white or blue. I then supplemented these with scraps in the same colours and stitched away. The centre qayg panel measures just under 12" square.


A narrow border of navy Kona was then sashed with some white Stof linen. I did a double row of quilting on the white with some red thread to add some interest. The urge was to break out the perle but time constraints dictated otherwise. I backed it with some Metro Living in a lovely red and used a slate grey zip on the closure. The cushion finishes about 18" square.


I love that I had several different fabrics that featured 'London' on them. It is a very British cushion and will be travelling abroad with us to be given as a gift. Now, just a number of other gifts to make and the host gift list can be ticked. Meanwhile there is still the DS quilt to finish, a baby quilt to make, another commission to do, and life to live. Ah well, it all keeps me out of trouble, most of the time.

Susan

29 comments:

  1. for a cushion like that you can come visit me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a super idea for a host gift. It will be a huge hit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! And my London fabrics left Galway today...heading your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the best pillow I've ever seen! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect use of those British prints!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic job on your new cushion, it will be hard to part with but appreciated I'm sure. Love the texture of the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great gift and I'm sure they will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally fabulous! Any Brit would be proud to have it! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful!! I still need a teacher gift and I want a really nice one this year - I might nick this idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Waaaa. guess you wont be finding timew to sleep with a "to-do" list that long!
    Hope you accomplish it all.
    That cushion is beautifully made. Your sewing is "to die for".

    ReplyDelete
  11. My curiosity has been satisfied! Great pillow - love your London theme fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really love all of the fabrics you have used for this pillow - very British indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Still eeking out that Underground fabric I see....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh such a gorgeous cushion, and so very British M'aam!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the "original print" piece and the bus fussy cut :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. well done, you can have a cushion made in time I am still thinking about it
    lovely gift, fancy it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love those fun British fabrics in your pillow cover! Fabulous finish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic fabrics and sure to be loved too. The scrappy look is perfect. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now we have the sun and heat - nya nya nya nya nya ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. absolutely fabulous - love it - great cushion

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely, lovely, lovely :-)
    E xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cute cushion. Traveling abroad? Is this your Florida trip coming up?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love it! That's quite a list you've got there, don't forget to add 'put up feet with a glass of something nice and enjoy the sunshine'!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great little cushion! But then all your things are!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.