Sunday 1 January 2012

Start the Year as You Mean to Continue

I got up this morning before everyone else. Not for any particular reason but just because I woke up. So I decided to make the most of my quiet time. And I ordered another teeny bit of fabric. Start as you mean to continue, say I! (Well, one can stay reasonably optimistic and hope for the best!)

Then, after catching up on blog reading and email replying, I decided to bring my sewing machine back out of hibernation. I haven't got all my toys out and will be able to easily clear the table for dinner tonight, but it was time to hear that happy hum again.

Needless to say, as I pulled all those fabrics out yesterday, I did something completely different. A few months ago I won a charm pack of Terrain from Sarah at Fairy Face for participating in her Summer Sewing list. Today the charm pack got broken into and well and truly used.


I had a ponder about how to make these jewel tones go further and opted for the old favourite - HSTs. A quick look at what was in my stash to use with them and I was set.



When I couldn't find my trusty old pencil that I usually use when marking HSTs I came across my Chako Ace Pen that had been part of a gift for me. Perfect, thought I. Yeah, and after I had marked forty squares and then pinned them to the solid the lines on some of the charms had dissolved to almost invisible. I must remember this for future reference. Mark, then sew - quickly!

Some chain piecing.
And some cutting.
I now have 80 HSTs to play with.
Well, actually I don't have eighty HSTs to play with because I have only trimmed three so far. Only seventy-seven more to go. I decided I would rather come and chat with you instead. I have to admit that I do like the way the colours in the Terrain really seem to glow up against the navy blue solid.

I started my new year shopping and sewing. Perfect! What about you?

Susan

PS: And a Very Happy New Year to you. May your 2012 be filled with happiness and lots & lots of fabric!

23 comments:

  1. Ah trimming of HSTs, you gotta love it! You going to tell us what fabric you ordered?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I must be the only person not to have a charm pack of terrain. It does look lovely. BTW what size ruler do you find easiest for trimming your HST's have a birthday this month and having got a new cutting matt and cutter for Christmas I'm wondering if I should put down rulers on my birthday list and if so which sizes people find the most useful?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy new year Susan - yes, do tell us what you ordered!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pity you can't use the baby go for trimmming!?

    Perfect way to start the New Year! Best of wishes to you Susan! In particular lots of new fabric and new quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. can't wait to see what you are making. I won a charm pack from Sarah at Sew me and that will invole HST as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have a charm pack of Terrain either. I do have a layer cake of her latest line though!
    The Terrain looks lovely paired with navy.
    You can't say you ordered fabric and then not tell us what you ordered, it's just not on;)
    I hope trimming HST's isn't how you are spending the rest of the year.
    I didn't do much on the first day of the year, mainly recovering from a very late night. I hope that doesn't mean I'll be doing very little this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah cough up. What did you get? I need an excuse to see lovely fabric since I haven't bought any myself since December 18th.

    I was very social yesterday ...I wonder if that means I'll be social all year . Im usually a hermit.

    I hate trimming HST's...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That terrain looks great with navy - cant wait to see what you make!
    I spent part of the day visiting family and the rest of it relaxing and resting. I plan to take things a bit slower in 2012 so I think it's a good start :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a perfect start Susan... started my new year with my favourite guy and some friends. Soaking up summer sun! Relaxing! Am hand raising a poddy calf so hoping the 'mummy' vibes stick with me this year! Happy 2012... may all your wishes come true! Keera @ live.love.sew

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yup, started the new year sewing and then phonecall from brother so great start! Happy happy new year sweets x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely way to spend the first day if 2012! I spent my day schlepping around airports (I'm at Pearson right now) and I fully intend to do more traveling this year! Start as you mean to continue...yes! I am, however, looking forward to dusting off my poor, neglected sewing machine when I get home. Happy New Year, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your sewing looks amazing. I'm an appliqué girl so I admire anyone who has the skill to line up triangles.
    Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I ended my last year shopping, so no money to do more this year yet lol Love the look of the HSTs, looking forward to seeing how it all turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. sewing and shopping sounds totally perfect to me!! Can't wait to see what you do with the hsts, which look great with the navy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like the right kind of start to me! I had a wonderful lazy day and even sandwiched and basted more UFOs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are gorgeous...have you thought about throwing half of them together and making the QST? That would be a great mix.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck trimming those HST's. I managed to get a bit more done to my D9P, in between a couple of good films!
    PS I don't have ANY Kate Spain at all. May have to recitfy that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a perfect way to start 2012! Those little HSTs are going to be beautiful!
    What did I do? Stayed home, played with my cat, pestered B :) and tried to organize our house. 2012 will be the year of unpacking I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I toyed with buying fro Sew Fresh - they have $7 shipping international until today. But in the end I bought another die for my Go.
    Finished all my hexies and am now doing the big join up.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Trimming so many hsts is not fun, but at least you can enjoy those lovely fabrics as you go. Love the navy with them. Looking forward to seeing more! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy New Year Susan! Am loving your HSTs, can't wait to see what you turn them into....I'm still to return to the sewing machine, but the last party was tonight, so maybe tomorrow :) x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have three charm packs of Terrain to make some sort of quilt and I was thinking grey but now I've seen your HSTs I think I'll be going with navy! (Which I happen to have at least 1.5m of in my stash!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I missed this post the other day. But, I have seen the finished HST. Lovely

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.