Monday 16 January 2012

I Didn't Know...

... that I owned some of these fabrics! And my stash is small compared to most, I believe. I have sat here most of the morning, sorting, smiling, frowning, and wondering where some of it came from. I have sat and stared at some of it wondering what on earth I was thinking at the time. And here I thought I gave away just about all my ugly fabric a long time ago! Apparently not.

But there is still lots of fabrics I like. I have surrounded myself with storage boxes and have been sorting diligently.

Obviously I will have to 'borrow' space from the other storage unit sooner rather than later.

I have grouped together certain fabrics. Because they don't fall into a category, are brown/sludge, unbleached cottons, etc.


That one that looks red is actually a rust colour
and just doesn't seem red enough to make the cut to the red box for me.
Then there is a box just with solids in it.
There are more still to come I do believe.
And a whacking great big piece of Ash.
Still to figure out is what to do with the 'other' fabrics. There is a small pile, so far, of fabrics I am keeping together rather than sorting according to colour.

Fabric gifts, my Pips, etc.

There is a horrendously huge pile of Christmas fabrics still, despite my best efforts this past Christmas to use up some of them. Maybe there should be an ugly Christmas fabric challenge later on in the year. I'll supply the fabric!


I admit I tried to put the less horrible ones on top so you didn't realise just how bad it was.
Surprising how you can hide the ones with gold in them due to mortification!
I was also incredibly surprised to learn that I have a lot of Simplicity leftover from making Helen and Emily's quilts. I must have bought a lot! I might have to think of a project to use some of this up.


There is more to sort out, but the bulk is done now. This certainly focuses you, shows you what you have and what you desperately need more of. Especially in the colours. I need more reds, and oranges, and yellows, and purples - which are particularly hard to find - well purples that are palatable are.

If I get this task done I will be able to see the carpet again, which will be a shame because I am sure to get a visible reminder that it needs hoovering. Maybe I will leave my fabric out for another day. Just because I can.

Susan

24 comments:

  1. Why not make the girls some matching pillow cases? You know, the british kind of pillow...

    Love your rainbow piles btw! Chuckle chuckle :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, got to love a good play/sort of the fabric, not least to rediscover past treasures (and I'm guessing horrors by your earlier sentences!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like fun, organizing and taking stock of all that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha rainbow piles sounds painful but pretty!?

    Looks like you have been having fun Miss Susan playing in your fabric and pretending it is work!?

    Now you know what to buy next or you could ask Emily to organise a charm swap - ugly Christmas fabric for...?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simplicity always make my heart sigh. Their quilts must be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Laura's idea of pillowcases and I'm jealous of your organisational skills!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doesn't it inspire you to make things when you see your fabrics all organised like that? They look great, and a much better way to keep on top of what you have/haven't got. Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for the proper pillow idea - I would also use one such pillow as a swag bag should I visit and make off with your stash in the night!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't you find being organised makes you more inspired? Also I'm afraid I own the ugliest Christmas fabrics that would knock those in your picture into the 'tasteful-by-comparison' camp. I can provide photographic evidence if you doubt me lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you have been bitten by the tidy bug! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love sorting through my fabrics, its so satisfying, especially when you find more than you expected and bits that you had forgotten about!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Job well done! I hear Rhonda loves the smudge range - she'd love to get them in the post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I suggest a glass of wine to celebrate a job well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you! Your organizational skills inspire us!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a brown /neutral box too. It’s chockers! I also kept all my collections together so I don’t have to go hunting for matching bits when I decide to make a quilt from them. I thought I had a ton of fabric but once I’d sorted it all I realised I didn’t really have that much (compared to other people )

    I was amazed at what i didn’t have in my stash too. I have hardly any yellow, purple or orange!

    I dont know about you but I feel happy when I ‘m sorting fabric.
    I think your next swap should be something made from a hideous fat quarter or two. Swap partners need to send said hideous fabric to their partner who needs to make something out of it ....

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the idea of making a matching pillow case for the girls! And your fabric looks so organised now - I don't think all your Christmas fabric is ugly though...well the third one down (trees!) isn't!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummy yummy yummt stash post. Very jealous of the Trofast!

    I really like that first picture. I can't help but think of the loveliness underneath.

    BTW that christmas fabric pile does not look all that bad. I wish I had a christmas fabric pile. I currently only own 3 FQ'S from Walmart. I would have taken more but I was getting very disapproving looks from my other half.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the storage boxes - I organise my fabrics by colour too so could really use something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooh, a spot of stocktaking...I like it. Feels so good when it`s organized!

    ReplyDelete
  20. mmmm fabric!! It's funny because I was thinking today about having some sort of ugly fabric swap or flickr group, or a fugly charm swap challenge??! Everyone had fabric they don't like but someone might like it...!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey, I like some of those Christmas fabrics! LOL (no accounting for tastes?) Wish I could see them ALL...LOL....

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorting fabric must have some sort of therapeutic value - at the very least, it's fun to try to figure out "what was I thinking!" when you actually bought some of the less than lovelies!! And, I have to admit, I do love that fabric in the Christmas stack that has a white background with a blue and a green tree on it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. haha - i've yet to have the big sort out - and i'm sure i can match you on the 'what was i thinking' pile - love the idea of a swap of fugly fabric.......

    ReplyDelete
  24. You know what they say about fabric right, if you cut the pieces small enough, there are no ugly fabrics!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.