Saturday 16 March 2013

Palette Building

Have you all seen the contest over at Intrepid Thread to build a colour palette based on a picture and upload it to Flickr? The premise being that you think a bundle would be nice in the colours in your palette. The winner will receive a FQ bundle based on their palette. You need to use the palette building link they have on their blog post and it isn't as easy as I thought it would be. Play-Crafts tends to find the browns and the muted shades more than I would have liked, or maybe my eye is not as good as I thought it was in finding the predominant colours in a photo. That would be a much more likely scenario.

I went on Google and tried all sorts of photos before I decided on this one as my entry into the contest.

Why not go and see what you can come up with?

Meanwhile, as it rains incessantly outside and I manage to get little done inside, I thought I would show you the cushion that Emily made the other day. She had a little help from me only in appliquéing the heart and closing the gap with hand stitching after she had stuff the cushion. It measures about 9.5" square as she used two layer cake squares in the making of it.


She quilted is using fmq, stippling and making little looping hearts. Then she embroidered the little eyes and moustache on one of the circles on the back - which I think is absolutely inspired. (But I am her mother.)

She made the cushion for a friend of ours. It went of to its new home, along with the HR cushion I made, and has been received today. I didn't want to let on that My Precious was being rehomed as it had to be a total surprise. It was. Both cushions are already dearly loved which was just the outcome we hoped for.

Susan

23 comments:

  1. Looks fab, well done Emily, clever girl, just like her Mum-do you know her! ;o). The palette builder looks cool, love your choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your colors for the contest.
    Em did a brilliant job on her cushion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pinks are yum! And Emily's cushion is totally gorgeous! That wee tash is so modern and now! So glad they were both well received! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your photo and colour palette (I had the same trouble with browns and dull colours creeping in, I thought it was down to my poor camera skills!) - I'd love you to win!

    Emily's cushion is fabulous, I love the way she's turned the circle into a face - very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job, Emily! The moustache is ah-mazing!

    I hadn't seen the Intrepid Thread contest. Something else to torture myself with. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bravo you both - I can imagine the recipient's reaction, in fact I think I could hear her from the Genius Bar!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol, love the wee face, and I'm sure it was well received

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely cushion. I bet you are a very proud mum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree about the Playctafts tendency to mute colours and include too much brown. I've made a couple but I'm not sure whether I'll enter. Lovely cushion from Em and well received I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Emily is a natural! That looks brilliant.

    Im sitting here wondering how come she can do FM quilting and I still cant!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are going to be able to retire early off the back of your daughters' creativity. They are going to have a book deal by the time they are 20!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Em! Brilliant! Glad to hear they have been received, wondered what it was I headed! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. The pillows look fabulous and I really love your colour palette!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh . . . . Both so generous. Lovely!
    Little face is gorgeous. Clever gals again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck with the palette builder - lovely choice. We clearly the acorn hasn't fallen far from the tree (or whatever the expression is!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love Emily's cushion. She's gonna be as talented as her Mother.
    As for the colour palette, very impressive, but a bit beyond my ability I think.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your pallette and emilys cushion is brilliant! I think the moustache is excellent!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your palette! The pinks are gorgeous. Making the face out of the dot is pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That cushion is flippin' brill!!! Very clever to add eyes and tache to that circle. Fab embroidery skills - you'll have to hide your perle now!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your colour palette and Emily's cushion is fab! Rx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the little Mo - inspired! And your palette is stunning - makes me think of Japan for some reason! x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Loving your entry!

    How cute is that little 'stash? Great cushion happiness :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.