Friday 29 March 2013

It's All About the Food Today

First up, let me say I am waaaaay behind in my comment replying. Sorry, life has been busy. And a sick kid was tossed into the mix. It happens. Something had to give and emails was it.

Meanwhile, I have been in the kitchen just about all day. Well ever since I returned home from procuring a ridiculous amount of food. We have friends coming round tomorrow and I have been prepping for that as well as dinner tonight.

Seriously, I have cooked the chicken parts, made the bbq sauce to finish them off tomorrow, made a potato salad, made some humous, made garlic bread, prepped the veg for dinner tonight and got a herb crust on a side of salmon ready for cooking.

But the best bit are the brownies that I have been making. This is not my recipe. It is lifted directly out of the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream cook book. The brownie recipe is for brownies to be used in their chocolate fudge brownie ice cream - which is divine. But the brownies are so good that they are worth making in their own right. So I did.


There is only one thing I change about this recipe and that is I don't cook them in a 9"x13" baking pan. As you can see by the photo I use cupcake cases. I find the tray bake leaves gooey brownie in the middle of the pan that is just a bit too gooey for me. Fine when I am using the brownie for ice cream but I prefer a little more structure when snacking on them. Cooked in the cupcake cases they have a nice crispy outside and a lovely moist gooey inside.

Recipe -

4 oz (100g) dark chocolate
1/2cup (1 stick/4 ozs) butter
4 large eggs at room temperature
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup plain flour

Preheat oven to 350F/180C/Gas Mark 4.

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler over simmering water. Let cool to room temperature before using in the recipe. (Or, like me, melt the butter and chocolate together in the microwave and stick your finger in to make sure it isn't too hot to cook the eggs in the batter.)

Beat the eggs and salt until very fluffy. Gradually add the sugar and vanilla and beat well. (I whack it all in in one go but I am telling you the 'proper' way.) Fold in the cooled chocolate mixture. Then fold in the flour until just incorporated. As there is no leavening agent in these brownies you want to fold carefully to retain as much of the air that you have beaten into the mixture as possible.

Pour the batter into the cupcake cases - about 80% full. Pop into the oven for approximately 25 minutes. The tops should be slightly cracked and crisp looking when ready.

Eat and enjoy. We will be having ours tomorrow with vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce and squirty cream. Everything is better with squirty cream, isn't it?

Susan

25 comments:

  1. They look delicious! Thanks for the recipe, I've been meaning to find one that didn't have nuts in!

    Have a lovely weekend xx

    P.S. Don't reply!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure I'm your fatter twin... we love brownies with ice cream, chocolate sauce and whoosy cream, its my special dessert lol... tomorrow I'm making individual simnel cakes, you would tempt me with brownies but unless I end up at the shops we don't have ice cream lol, don't reply just enjoy your weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yumm! We have Oreo brownies today :). happy Easter Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so clever to bake the brownies in cupcake papers - great idea ... and I have never, ever seen star shaped cupcake papers - I love them! The meal you've prepped sounds absolutely divine ... Enjoy and Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmmmm. Easter is a bit non-existant here so perhaps I shall do some baking. I love the sound of your feast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Squirty cream is the biz, squirty chocolate cream is pure genius!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Squirty cream?? Not from a can, is it?!!! The brownies look yummy, anyway - enough calories in one of them, I expect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, yum, and yum! Have a fab time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. an other delicious recipe to try .. sounds yummy! I love the little pieces! perfect for one bite ...just what is the last thing you eat with the brownies?

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have squirty cream in the house here for the first time in years. Sadly not for scrummy brownies but for hot choccie made using hubby's new coffee pod machine toy.
    Happy Easter lovely.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum yum! I'll be trying that recipe for sure! No need to reply, enjoy your visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh brownies, yummy! Although I can't agree with you on the squirty cream front - yuck - sorry. Enjoy your weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy - so when are you bringing some over????

    ReplyDelete
  14. awesome brownies. i've been pigging out at mums all week...chocolate cake, hot cross buns, peanut squares... going home heavier no doubt!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoy! I think I'll skip the cream though, sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's half seven in the morning as I'm reading this and even still I'm just wanting one of your brownies. From following your blog for so long now I can see that you are an excellent hostess. You can tell that as soon as you step over the threshold of your home you would feel comfortable and welcome x

    ReplyDelete
  17. "yay" for squirty ............brownies look great another recipe to try !!

    ReplyDelete
  18. YuuuuuuuuuMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. all your food sounds so delish! Those brownies especially

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are amazing. A woman of many talents.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.