Friday 22 March 2013

Let Them Eat Cake

I have my older brother (much, much older - yes, he reads this) visiting this weekend so there won't be much sewing done. But there will be cake eaten so I thought I would share the recipe.

The banana cake that I make is based on a recipe out of the Fanny Farmer Cook Book (I know, snigger away). Like a lot of recipes I tweaked this one. The cook book recipe is good, but I like mine better. If I didn't I would have returned to their recipe obviously.



Ingredients -

4 ozs butter (1/2 cup)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup mashed banana (about three medium sized bananas and I don't mash mine, I just chuck them into the mixer and let it do the job for me)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup crème fraiche (or sour cream)
1/2 cup unsweetened dessicated coconut (optional, but it is nice with the bananas)

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Butter and flour a 9" square tin, or just line it like I do.

Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add in the bananas and beat the hell out of it if you haven't pre-mashed them like me. Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix. Mix the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl then dump into the butter mixture in one go. Mix well, giving the bowl a scrape to make sure it is all incorporated. Add in the crème fraiche and the coconut, and mix until it is all blended.

Place the batter in the prepared baking tin. Bake for approximately 45 minutes, until a tooth pick poked in the middle comes out clean.

Have your first piece while it is still warm, like I did. Promise you won't regret it. Hope you like it as much as we do.

Susan

25 comments:

  1. Mmmmm, mouth watering gooood! Now all it needs is a super thick layer of cream-cheese frosting! Have fun with big bro! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still eating your delicious cookies but when they are finished I am sure I have three little monster who want to mash bananas :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh that looks goooooood!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks scrummy! Shame I've used up all the frozen bananas :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy yummy. I am definitely going to make this cake. Have a good time with big bro. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm I want some now.
    It looks delicious.
    Definitely going to try and make this tomorrow.
    Hope you have a fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I hate bananas (despise them, in fact) but I (generally) like banana cake and bread...funny, that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am thrilled someone else uses a Fannie Farmer cookbook. I have my mother's old one and use it as a reference for just about everything. The bread/cake looks great -- I have some old bananas that might get used.

    thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your recipe! I was thinking of making a banana loaf/cake but haven't had the time yet for any baking. May get the boys to help baking during the week though, your recipe sounds very easy...

    ReplyDelete
  10. you lost me at 'banana' - not a fan as sadly they make me vomit...I'm sure your recipe is delicious...wonder if you could substitute the bananas for something else my delicate little stomach can stand...lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I shall try and keep sensible today in my commenting after yesterday's effort. Looks yummy and is now pinned :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh no, another cake I have to try! Looks yummy! Have a great weekend! X

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you have a great weekend - even if it does have banana cake in it (sadly I don't like bananas - if all my children did then I would definitely make the banana cake, because they would enjoy it, and my waistline would thank me!)Now apple cake is a different matter....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice Fanny Cake (he, he)- enjoy! And have a great time with your brother this weekend :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks amazing! Enjoy your time with your brother!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have a fun weekend, alas, if I ate the cake it would be my last ever bite, and aside from being highly allergic to bananas (in an anaphylaxis sort of a way), even the smell makes me puke, so I'll be generous and let you eat my bit ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope you have a wonderful time with your ancient brother and enjoy the cake. I, like Katy, but very few others, am allergic to bananas.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum. I don't much like bananas but I do love banana cake.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm going to make this cake tomorrow. I just happen to have bananas ready to bake with. I will however top it with leftover cream cheese frosting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Not listening! Dieting, so not listening!

    ReplyDelete
  21. thanks for the recipe going to pin it .

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.