Tuesday 19 March 2013

Flying Geese

The lovely Di - Random Thoughts of Do or Di - asked for flying geese blocks for the Modern Stitching Bee for this month. She specified the colour palette and that the background be grey. Other than that we could make whatever block we wanted as long as it was on a three inch scale. So we could do a 6" x 24" block, a 12" block, or a 15" x 9" block, whatever. The dimensions were our choice, as was the layout.

I went online for a tutorial for making flying geese without any leftover fabric. I've done it before but I needed reminding of how to do it. I highly recommend this tutorial as it tells you how to make the blocks, and - more importantly - the maths involved to make geese of whatever size you would like.

Once I worked out my requirements the sewing was simple, and chain piecing was easy.


I made one 12" square block and it came in only slightly bigger than the unfinished 12.5" required measurements. The instructions said to use a scant 1/4" seam so I suppose I was a little more scant than required. I am hoping Di can still work with this.


For my second block I was going to do a long strip but in the end I decided to send Di six 6" square blocks so she could slot them in where required, or piece them together if that worked better.

The blocks took me far less time than I thought they would and I am happy I don't have a whole bunch of left over HSTs taunting me and demanding that I do something with them.

Susan

32 comments:

  1. Those are excellent, I need to make a plan and make those blocks for Di.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Di is headed for another wonderful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blocks look great, I like the block with the small and larger flying geese, haven't seen that before. I need to make a flying geese block myself soon and think I will try that one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this flying geese method, it's genius isnt it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very fresh and pretty, good work my friend! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love flying geese and these are goodies. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've not seen this method before, thanks for sharing! I love the block too

    ReplyDelete
  8. How great the geese look. I love the colors you chose and the arrangement is lovely

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah those orphan hsts can be persistent little blighters! LOVE your geese blocks, large and small! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blocks are awesome! I finished mine the other day, but yours are so much prettier than mine are. It's been great fun watching how our friends interpret this little challenge, hasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so happy I picked this block. You have made some perfect blocks there Mrs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. excellent execution of that block!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great blocks and so glad you gave that link although I could have done with it yesterday as I was making some flying geese and now have a bunch of HSTs taunting me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've not tried this method, but will definitely give it a go. Di will love these!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wished I'd waited til you had lead the way Miss! You make them sound like a breeze! No missing points here!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Perfect flying geese! You knocked the ball out of the park with those.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your geese look beautiful - will have to try that tutorial next time too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an awesome method!! As soon as you put up a photo it made sense. And I have been staring at flying geese for months trying to work out how they work.
    Your blocks are lovely too :-)
    E xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm going to have to check out that method! Can you believe I've never made flying geese before? I'm shocked by the realization. Time to try it out! Your geese blocks look fantastic, Di chose a great color scheme!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are great. I especially like the first block which looks like a friendship star - friendship geese perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the soft grey with those bright highlights ... cockatoos on a wintry sky!
    Wish I could piece with your precision. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's a clever way to chain piece those HSTs!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your flying geese look lovely and great colours. Thank you so much for the link to this tutorial, I have been looking for one that I could easily make sense of for ages, and this one's perfect. Now I understand the quick way rather than having to do 1 goose (?!) at a time!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the bright colours and your method looks great! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  25. So much more clear headed than I ! Missed the bit about the background needing to be grey - drat!

    Your blocks for Di are lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.