Sunday 20 April 2014

Sunrise/Sunset

In my continuing - but very rare - burst of getting things done, today I tackled the freezer paper piecing project. Sunrise/Sunset.

My sewing day started with the cutting up of the rest of the pattern and some serious fabric trawling.


Then I sewed, and sewed some more. The decision to not do a traditional full roast lamb dinner for Easter provided me with umpteen more hours than I would have had. Woohoo!

Before the alternative dinner of Chinese crispy duck, pickled cucumber salad and assorted bits and pieces needed to be prepared I had the mini top done.


And I am freaking happy with it. There are things I would change if I did it again, but overall, for an impromptu experiment I think it worked well and it was fun to make. Despite the look of it, there are only two 'Y' seams in its entirety too. Bonus! I am now contemplating how to quilt it.

In other news today, the Easter bunny did stop by our house though I have yet to convince it that mums should receive chocolate too. I am going to do some serious damage in Tesco during the week if they have a sale on Lindt Easter chocolate. Just saying.


I also finally broke into my Aurifil cone that I ordered from Cindy at Fluffy Sheep Quilting. I feel all grown up now, but the question of how actually to use it on my machine kept me thinking for a few moments until I decided to pop one of my regular Aurifil spools up the cones bum bottom and put it on the thread holder for the bobbin winder. Worked a treat. Thank goodness.

I hope everyone has been having a very happy Easter and that the torrential rain passed them by unless, like me, you wanted a good reason to stay in and sew.

Susan

32 comments:

  1. You will be lucky!! There wasn't an egg to be had in our Tesco yesterday! There were some in Sainsburys but not very exciting ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Sunrise/Sunset! And I sent my guy out for chocolate for me already today, there was just too much on the internet for me to resist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I raided the Hotel Chocolat sale online this morning! Happy Easter Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely!
    Good luck trying to find more easter chocs! I was going to wait until tomorrow, glad dear hubby went out for a paper and got me one today, because it was scarce pickings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even if it rains with your new mini you have a burst of sunshine inside. My daughter (4) is still good at sharing her haul unfortunately she is getting more discerning at keeping the best stuff for herself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty, and it would have fit in with all our sun up here :oD

    I have one pack of mini creme eggs which I can ration out for myself one a night. Bloody diets!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your sunset, it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the sunrise /sunset finish...it looks amazing. Im still in awe of all those tiny pieces.

    I hit our local shop Saturday morning to do my Easter shopping and the selection ws pretty picked over. I doubt there will be any big sales on left overs come Tuesday morning !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks stunning, Susan. Really amazing design. You're just so clever! I can hardly wait to see how you will be quilting it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome work Susan happy Lindt hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic burst of colors! I have Aurifil cones too. They last forever :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love this Susan, gorgeous. I have eaten quite enough chocolate in the run up to Easter I think ....

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is absolutely stunning. Who needs roast lamb anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmm, chocolate eggs were a bit sparse on my side of the table too! I love your starburst! It is going to be amazing! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your freezer paper piecing is drop dead gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rain on a bank holiday? How bizarre. Unlike your sunrise sunset which is absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely stunning! I have no idea how you did it, but it's brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning piecing! Great tip on the bobbin.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this and think you should offer it as a (bought) pattern...

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is beautiful. The method looks almost like EPP? And no chocolate here either - if that helps you feel better!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your sunrise-sunset is beautiful. Lots of little pieces...good thing you have patience! I've just recently been introduced to Lindt chocolate - it's delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is stunning. Love the colours you have chosen

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, it looks fantastic! The different prints and colors work so well with each other. Good luck with the Lindt, those are my favorite ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stunning..where did you get the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sunrise/sunset is just stunning. Huge congrats to you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just love that Sunset/rise..Colours match Bunny's offerings. Win win!

    ReplyDelete
  27. It is gorgeous! Really love how you keep trying new things! You are an adventurer! A pioneer at heart!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.