Thursday 17 April 2014

Back To My Machine

I returned to the sewing machine today after my brief sabbatical. It was nice to have a break, and now good to be back. This is the first time in four months that I have no secret sewing, no deadlines, and I can just do what I want.

Today I decided to do more on my latest quilt-as-you-go cushion top. I finished the piecing, only covering part of the cushion as I had the intention of covering the other part of the cushion with linen. Needless to say I had to complicate things.


I must remember if I ever do this again to not do the porthole part of the qayg until I have attached the curve bit. Needless to say that needed some 'adjusting' as my tear drop porthole did not end up right where I wanted it to be. And the linen is more than a bit wonky.

On the other hand it is a fairly smooth curve and that makes me smile. There was a great deal of pinning involved, maybe some colourful language as well.


Now I am pushing my luck by doing matchstick(ish) quilting and working my way out around the tear drop. Tears are sure to fall if it all goes wrong as it approaches the middle of the cushion where the linen joins the qayg.

And I leave you with this photo I had on Instagram. I thought this fussy cut was so funny. Couldn't figure out what it meant for the love of me.


@craftycalm got Google to translate it for me though. She said it means 'hang up straight out of the washer to dry nicely, if still creased wear a cardi'. Now that I understand perfectly!

Susan

18 comments:

  1. I think "pushing the envelope" is the right term for what you are doing with that cushion, amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh can't wait to see that quilting done. The translation sums up my wardrobe mantra ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fab, i really love the matchstick quilting, and let's be honest, you curse like a sailor on the best of days! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a perfect translation to me! I love that cushion so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. loving the cushion. You have such an eye for color. and the translation - that's my theory too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Or maybe we "iron" clothes and we "press" quilts? Lovely cushion project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's looking like an interesting cushion!
    See I do iron, but wtf is a blouse!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Complicate things? You? Never...

    ReplyDelete
  9. That made me laugh. The cushion is looking good, I especially love the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's going to make an awesome cushion - the matchstick quilting is going to be perfect (and hopefully not result in more colourful language!!!) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. still giggling at that translation :-D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to see this Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that translation! Its what I do every time I get dressed!! Loving the cushion

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can do it. Everytime I see you do something unconventional it turns out to be genius!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks amazing. I love the flow of your teardrop!

    And I relate to the ironing quip.. Ironing is ONLY for sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can't wait to see this finished - oh I think I already have - time travel is fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.