Monday 15 September 2014

Stocking Up For The Winter

It's been a pie sort of day. It involved a kilo of flour, and half a kilo of fat, to make a lot of pastry. And a tonne of apple pealing.


I ended up with five pies for the freezer, all using the apples we the girls picked last Thursday. I couldn't have accomplished this so quickly if it wasn't for the ingenuity of the Victorians and that handy dandy little apple pealer/slicer/corer thingy. I'd still be in there pealing otherwise. And less than happy for that fact. But I do have the apple thingy which makes life so much easier when making pies and crumbles.

We won't be eating any of these pies tonight though. The girls and I are still recovering our appetites after a less than stellar weekend. It is a well established pattern. Girls go to school. Germs come home. They get sick. What is unusual is me getting it too. And it was an ugly one! Anyway, pie is not on the menu yet as it would just go to waste, or himself would have to eat the whole thing on his own. Actually, I am sure he wouldn't have a problem with that, not that I am going to cook a pie and indulge him. I'm not that nice.

Hopefully I will get some sewing time in tomorrow.

Susan

15 comments:

  1. Oh no! Hope you're feeling better soon. I've always loved those corer/peeler things. So ingenious! Mmmmm......apple pie. Nom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah the children lurgy. not looking forward to that! awesome apple dooly. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Give the lurgy to someone else and get better soon, and then bring a pie or two to where you know they will be appreciated ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for pie, boo for lurgy! I could do with one of those apple corer thingies as I have a pile of epples coming my way, just need to find one locally now....

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks tasty. I was given kilos and kilos of red grapes last week and made grape jelly. It all went in the bin, it mysteriously turned into grape toffee (quote husband, this is the ugliest most stomach turning food I have seen)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry you all got the lurgy! Hope everyone feels well enough for apple pie soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You amaze me with your bulk cooking skills . Lots of yummy pies for the colder months ahead. Let me know when you're putting one in the oven and I'll pop over for dessert ....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you feel better soon, we are suffering from the influx of school germs here too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw sorry you guys have been yucky! The pies look so delicious! All they need now is a huge dollop of your homemade ice-cream! Yum! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy. I love being able to go to the freezer and take out wonderful home cooking like this. Last winter I froze lots of boxes of stewed apples all ready to use in pies and crumbles when I needed them, it saved on space but you must have a bigger freezer. Enjoy. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yuck. Feel better soon, ladies.
    Those Victorians, though, they had it all figured out when it comes to pie! Smart you for picking up one of those thingy-ma-jigs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've made a couple myself lately with sweet pastry. Yummy. I don't have a gadget like yours though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no, hope you're all feeling better

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those look fabulous! Hope you're all on the mend now!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.