Sunday 23 September 2012

Canons Ashby

Autumn came today, with a vengeance. It is cold - only 10C - and wet, very, very wet. Today was the first time I have felt truly chilled to the bone in ages. I did not like it. But that didn't stop us from having fun.

We went off to Canons Ashby which is an Elizabethan manor house just two villages away from us, now owned by the National Trust. This weekend was an open weekend, no entrance fee and extra little things going on. So off we went with friends for an impromptu day out.


The day was too wet for grand vista photos of the exterior or the gardens, so I became obsessed with the small details in the rooms inside. Canons Ashby is not a large house but you get good insight into what life was like, being able to visit the formal rooms, bedrooms, nursery, servants quarters and kitchens. The lighting was dim and use of flash banned so I concentrated on the little things. Unfortunately the lace making, cross stitch, and other demos I just could not capture.


It was the kitchens that fascinated me most. I could  have poked round there for ages, but the girls were put off by the rabbits and pheasants hanging in the cold store. The girls took pleasure in writing their names on the dusty bottles in the old wine cellar though.


Outside there was a demonstration of apple juice making. The girls had a go and then drank their wares. I must say it was lovely. I also found an item that I coveted. I need an apple peeler, corer and slicer - all in one go thingy. I really, really need one! I may also need an apple press. Just saying.


So even the wettest days can be enjoyed. Especially as we have been decadent and put the heat on when we got home. And there is the lovely smell of a chicken roasting in the oven. The first Sunday roast in months. A sure sign that autumn is here indeed.

Susan

27 comments:

  1. it was so wet here in London too. For the first time since we got the dog. I have discovered that my puppy is a bit of a princess and will not go out in the rain to wee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cold, wet, chilly. Sounds like the perfect day for this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a lovely day was had - and there is something so fab about the first day of heating on, curtains closed against the dark and roast dinner in the oven.... especially when the OH is a chef and doing the cooking :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fab day out. I relented and put the heating on low too - I really didn't want to because it will no doubt be months before they let us have it on at work and there are only so many layers a girl can put on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun. I have an apple corer thing, but an apple press would be good too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had our first roast today as well and it was lovely. I was frozen today too. Your trip out looks great

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohhh we have places like that here, the chateaus are just the same, I love the kitchens :) we have roast dinners all year round, had roast lamb on one of the 32C weekends, I love my veg and gravy !!
    Glad you had the heating on, we're still in the mid 20's although it's damn chilly in the morning 6c... pjs, dressing gown and quilt to watch night tv in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a beautiful house and a fun family day out! We've had a lovely weekend but this last week there has been a decided nip in the air - socks are most definitely back on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha, it's been that cold here (colder in fact) for a couple of weeks... Still, glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a nice day out, in spite of the weather. A day for a nice apple crisp, since you mentioned apples. When/if I get to England, I'm going to pull out your old posts for all the best places to visit. the places you go sounds wonderful and not so crowded.

    ReplyDelete
  11. brrrr! Looks like youse had a fab day out tho :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a brilliant day out! We are doing the central heating challenge - trying not to put the heating on until October. Bit chilly though, it was 0 degrees here last night!
    Ps don't feel you need to reply, my tech skills are clearly limited and I've no idea why it's not working ..... Imposter that I am ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh we ventured into London today - it was cold and very wet there too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great day out and super pics.
    Beautiful day here, probably the last we shall see in a while, monsoon forecast for tomorrow. I sneaked the heating on a week ago!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our free day was Friday all around Ireland...'Culture night' I think it was called. I didn't know that the UK did it too. I must come over for that weekend next year. Lovely to have such a gem so close by!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the contrasts in the seasons, especially as you are bracing yourselves for the cold of winter we are enjoying the early warmth of Spring! Looks like it was a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice photos of a beautiful house. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry about your 10 deg - we are going into warmer weather and 27deg yesterday (I would rather the 10). Looks like an interesting day out. We call them slinky apples and I love mine.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful old place! I think it was even warmer here today than what you had! But Autumn has definitely arrived! Glad you all had lots of fun! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh you must get an apple peeler thingie. We love ours!!!!!! What a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My mum said she was freezing yestreday! Your day out looks lovely and I always love the kitchens too...hmmm, wonder why that is?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like a great day out, might have to add to our list of must go,visit! Brrr Bloomin cold here! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Seems like you guys had a good day out. My friend has one of those apple peelers, they are so cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful place to visit, thanks for sharing the photos. I love Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It was down at 7C at 9am yesterday but then the sun came out and it whizzed up to 14!!! I think it's time to get the cardis out though...
    P.S. Looks like a lovely day out x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks like a lovely day spent visiting the manor house.
    I have one of those apple peeler slicer things and they are a life saver when making pies and such. If you can't find one let me know and I can d=send you one.
    di xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.