Friday 30 May 2014

My Other Obsession

It is well established that I have an obsession with fabric, and many of you may have long ago sussed that my other obsession is food.

I am a city girl at heart abut somewhere along the line I fell in love and had children, and got transported into the countryside to live. I really do love our lives and think it perfectly suits our family, but that doesn't mean I don't hanker after having busyness around me at times. Most of all I miss a choice of restaurants. (Oh how I miss having a choice of different ethnic foods!) Which would be why when I do go wandering off to London and Newcastle (as I have currently done so) food features highly on my list of things to be enjoyed.

This time is no different.

I went to an absolutely amazing Lebanese restaurant.
Cannot wait to go back there!
We found a new to us Japanese takeway.
Very good and great prices.
Then there was the Chinese buffet which is our budget option in town.
A trip to the Oriental supermarket got savoury options for me,
and filled Emily's Oriental sweets obsession.
Then there is the obligatory visit to the American Candy store,
where they had Pixy Stix which are a total blast from the past for me.
Sweetarts are mine too. I didn't bother taking photos of the girls loot.
It will be back to my life in the countryside on the weekend, but maybe that is for the best when considering my waistline.

Susan

18 comments:

  1. Wow! Pixy stix! I haven't seen those in a gazillion years. They were a favourite of mine - along with Koo Koo bars. But maybe I'm dating myself......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got both PixyStix and Bottlecaps left over from Christmas still! Bottlecaps are gross though, you never know if you're going to end up with root beer! Working our way steadily through the pixy stix though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to get places where you can try different foods. Although I'm lucky as Oxford is only 6 miles away and there are loads of eateries there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems to me you have the best of both the country and the city. Lucky you. You are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our girls would get on so well - all things Japanese and American sweety shopping! That's our must-dos in the city, too. Forbidden Planet (for Japanese import toys), sushi and Americandy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a couple of Starbursts yesterday and immediately felt like I had been stabbed in the chest, so my days of anything flavoursome are not coming back anytime soon - I will let you eat for the two of us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you go to Albiak in Byker for that lovely feast??????

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love food, picture of food make me happy! I have cravings for Itsu (the Japanese takeaway chain in London) when I am back home during the weekends. Why do they feel we all want Italians in the countryside??

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you have exposed your girls to such a variety of foods - brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know what you mean, whenever I get to a city I eat Greek, Mexican or Indian depending on who I'm with.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The table of Lebanese food looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Lebanese food. And Mongolian. And Vietnamese. Lets face it I just love food full stop.

    If you had access to all those wonderful things all the time (especially the candy) it wouldn't be a thrill to buy them. Thats why it's so exciting for you when you do.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do you ever get good Mexican food over there? I'd be lost without it!

    What American candy is your girls favorite? Having only ever really had American candy, I wonder whats a big hit with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's funny, I love food and living in the city I have a wealth of restaurants at my disposal, but when friends and I go out, we never give it much thought and end up in a few limited options dictated by area rather than cuisine. Good job the Japanese and the Italian are nice at least!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love Lebanese...love Japanese...love Chinese - we do have them here but it's not the same. I'm a complete foodie and more than happy to eat anytime...anywhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh to have choice! I live in the middle of nowhere too and although there are a few Italians locally run by descendants of inmates from a nearby POW camp that's it! I've never had Lebaneese food and only had Japaneese once:-( one day I will explore the world and all the culinary delights it has to offer!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, pixie stix!! When I "go to town" I stop at the Middle Eastern grocery store, where I can find stuffed grape leaves in tins, Lebanese salted sunflower seeds (white) and my favorite: Ginger candy from Thailand. And egg roll wrappers.....Plus, the guy with the shop loves to talk to his customers :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.