Wednesday 21 May 2014

Apparently It Was Me!

I've not been doing too much sewing the past few days, having lots of other stuff to get on with as life dictates at times. But I did start a project I have been avoiding - because I didn't want to do it and rather than getting it over with I've been ignoring it until the last moment.

You may remember that a while ago I told you my mother told a good friend of hers that I would love to make some placemats for her in a very specific shape. Sometimes mothers get it wrong.


The colours were specific as well as the shape. I am finally getting on with them as I have promised they will be delivered up north next week. Still don't like them though, if I am going to be brutally honest. The straight line of piecing wasn't my original idea but the original idea didn't work, and I cannot come up with anything I else. So wonky piecing on a straight strip on a kidney bean(ish) shaped placemat it is.

Yesterday I did a quick jaunt up to Trudi's to return the machine she leant me when mine went ick. She had treats too, bless her. As we all know, quilty friends are the best of friends.


So, having returned the borrowed machine my newly serviced one went all crap on me today whilst I was working on these placemats. Not happy! I bundled it up and headed off to the machine shop. The man sorted it out. Turns out the thread is hopping out the tension bit in the bobbin case. Um, apparently, upon testing it repeatedly it just might be my fault. I am sewing faster than my machine wants to go. Oooops! My lead foot has been reprimanded (by me, not the man in the shop) and suitably chastened I returned home and got on with the job some more.

Susan

21 comments:

  1. The treats look yummy .. the placemat is interesting - nice for a small, round table..

    I've taken my machine to the shop on two occasions when it was totally my fault, one I had the bobbin in backwards, the other the thread had slipped off one of the levers. I was sure it was busted and it was just me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry about anything else.... Good friends with cake are all that matter and the world is a happier place. .... Or just amputate a few toes to make you lighter footed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to have to ask - why oh why do they need place mats that shape. Would it not have been easier to get normal shaped plates?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speedy Gonzales? This happens to projects you do not like. Trying to get rid of them as fast as possible. Hope the machine excuses your rush and is working nicely again :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness I am almost fainting at the sight of Trudi's caramel squares - I'm drooling into my laptop! You lucky duck! Isn't it so hard to get motivated to sew something you don't want to sew! I'm a bit like that with cooking!! LOL! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Slow down - you'll do yourself (or your machine ) an injury .

    Honestly sounds like your machine man is having you on - if its meant to go a certain speed how can you be going too fast?

    ReplyDelete
  7. can you sew faster than your machine? are you sure he wasn't trying to blind side you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder why such a specific shaped place mat?? So funny!! And those treats looked delicious - you lucky thing. Fingers crossed your machine is happy now?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I might have taken the acting up machine as a sign that the placemats were not meant to be ;) Kudos for pushing through the icky project! And what is that shape?? It's so odd!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The placemat looks great. Just let them know they are about $75 a piece for parts and labor :) I go full tilt with my machine with my lead foot and all it only goes as fast as it wants to. I am usually frustrated by that but now I'll be thankful that it sets its own limits.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You speed junkie! Good luck finishing those placemats. Just keep thinking that they'll be out of your hair soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Think I've told you before what a fast piece you are!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I still think it should work as fast as it will go :S Seems a bit odd to make it more powerful than it can cope with! I too have called the retailer for help with my older machine when it was my fault- there was a threader point and I put the thread to the right of it instead of the left so it didn't go through the tensioner. It's a flappy paddle of a thing so very easy to do :S

    ReplyDelete
  14. Could you thread the thread through the finger in the bobbin holder (the hole that you thread through when doing buttonholes) or would that knock your tension out too much? Does it only happen when you're quilting or is it when you piece, as well?
    P.S. Can't believe your mam volunteered you to make those place mats - hope you're getting paid?!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. is that millionaire's shortbread? OHMYGERD!!!!!!!!1!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. too bad your machine can't handle your speed but lucky you have a friend like Trudi. Oh, and that mother of yours...her firend is very lucky you are so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You got Trudi-treats, so suck up the pain of the mental placemats - you get no sympathy here!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just can't get over the fact that you sew too fast for your machine! There is no surprise in that! Whatever that treat is that Trudi has - looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Smiling at your kidney bean shaped placemats...I won't ask!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.