Thursday 8 May 2014

Easily Distracted

I've been quilting, honestly I have. But last night, about 9pm, I had the sudden urge to do a little embroidery. Far be it for me to deny myself an urge like this so I rustled up a scrap of linen, and spray basted a wadding scrap to the back, because I seldom use hoops and this adds structure while I am stitching.

I looked at a few photos online and before you knew it I was attempting to stitch some lavender.


On the left is what I accomplished last night. This morning I finished it, and immediately embarked on another. This is a super easy stitchery to do. I used my water soluble pen to sketch out some lines for the stems, but if you look closely you will see I ignored those lines for the most part. You can make this up as you go along, really.

The other great thing about this - for me - was I finally took the advice of a wise lady and ditched the French knots for colonial knots. OMG! Why don't I listen more often? Love these. They don't unravel like some of my French knots are prone to do; nor simply disappear like you never wrapped the thread around the needle in the first place. I am totally converted. If you are curious how to do them there are some very good tutorials online. It's how I learned last night.

Crap quality of the photos totally due to the equally crap weather today.

My embroideries are now lavender bags. I have the urge to make more. Not like I have anything else to do.

Focus, Susan, focus!

Susan

22 comments:

  1. Quick and super cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! Honestly....is there anything that you aren't good at??? Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the prettiness of these! Adorable! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are lovely! Why have I never heard of a colonial knot before? Off to Google it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colonial knots you say... I'm doing a Lisa ^^^!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute. I love lavender. They have a lavender festival here in Texas every year. There is all things lavender

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are so sweet - I'm off to google Colonial Knots now! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. She's a smart lady that Helen! I struggle with French knots for all your reasons - defo trying the Colonials! Beautiful wee bags, too. Such a pretty distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so precious. I don't know the difference between a colonial and french knot. I am not convinced my version of a french knot is actually how it should be done ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty!! I've done colonial knots but still prefer French ones! I do them the sublime stitching way and it's so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very very pretty! I think this episode of distraction was well worth while !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Hilary Florence here. I can't find your email address to email you directly about today's post, so forgive me for answering here. I wanted to encourage you and say not to be put off or give up on entering shows. I entered my first show 6 months ago - got 2 'goods' and the rest 'satisfactory'. Like you, I hated the word 'satisfactory' and felt that my work was better than that. Unlike you, I did not get a second, more favorable set of comments! The second show I entered was the BQTV show at Utoexeter that you did - and I won 2nd in wall hanging. My ticks went from 'satisfactory' to 'very good and 'excellent' and I can assure you the quality of my work has not improved that much in 6 months! What I think made the difference was a much stronger design. But as your 2 comment sheets show, so much is the taste of the judge. So keep going. And perhaps we should start a campaign to change 'satisfactory' to 'shows promise'? So much more encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you like the colonial knots - there's no way I'd go back to French knots! The lavender bags are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are so lovely. I think linen lavender bags with lavender flowers embroidered on them are just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. omg. - have spent the last two days embroidering a daisy chain and tonight was to be french knots for the centres. Now I have to check out colonial knots. An exciting Saturday night here!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Never heard of colonial knots, but will have to check them out! Your bags are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. They're VERY cute. I'm so glad you do get distracted. Will have to check out colonial knots. Why haven't we heard of them before?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Swapped to colonial knots myself, a few years ago. I find them much better coz they don't unravel.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.