Wednesday 28 May 2014

Day Tripper

I have disappeared up north again,with the girls this time. Doing the usual - revelling in not having to cook dinner being near the top of the list. I do love to cook, but I also love taking a break from it all. I didn't bring any hand sewing with me, thinking that I would start learning EQ7 but am having problems getting the computer off the girls when I do have a moment. But mostly we have not been home for me to do any learning anyway.

Monday we spent the day down in York. I love York; have done since I was a child. This time was special because it was the first time I took the girls there.


We started the day by visiting the Jorvik Viking Centre. Why they trusted Emily with a massive battle axe is beyond me, but we will skip over that part. We all really enjoyed the museum, and it had been over half a lifetime since I had visited so it was good to see how it had changed and improved. The girls are one quarter Viking on their father's side so we like to think of this stuff as family history.

The day was lovely and sunny so we ate a lunch al fresco, each choosing from different food vendors, wandering the streets and just enjoying life. Then it was off to the Minster as it really must be seen, inside and out.


The Minster is magnificent. I am lucky that the girls are quite happy to go places like this. Not sure what I would do if and when I get the eye rolling and groans of agony at the very suggestion of visiting places of historical interest. What age does this happen? Can I hope that they are missing that gene?


We spent ages exploring the nooks and crannies. Then the girls and I (not my mother who opted to go have a nice cup of tea, wise woman) headed up to the top, climbing all the stairs to admire the view and the architecture from a very different angle.


If you ever have the chance to go to York do not miss the opportunity. I fully appreciate the fact that I have the privilege to live in a country steeped in history and do not take that fact for granted. Passing my love for these things on to my children is such an added bonus.

Susan

21 comments:

  1. Looks like a great trip. I have only stuck my head in the door of York Minster because it was going to be so expensive for my friend and I to go in properly. I actually thought the Jorvik viking centre had closed years ago - maybe because the Oxford Story did and it was by the same people. I'm still smiling at the bit about Viking history being family history :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful. York has always been a favoutite place of mine to visit too. Sadly my children are all grumpy teenagers and no longer these kind of outings but I can occasionally get my husband to do trips with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandparents used to live in Harrogate and I loved going to visit them. My grandma took me to York one day, just us :) Have you been to Brimham Rocks? I used to love it there http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/brimham-rocks/ Enjoy the rest of your stay :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love York though I though the viking museum was crap! I can attest that at 15 everything and everyone is boring. The only exceptions are boys that are too old for them, wearing far too much make up and facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah the smell in the Jorvik Viking centre will haunt me forever! Looks like a fun trip though :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I want to swap lives with you - your adventures always seem to be so much fun! (If you swap with me you'll spend 90% of your life at work and the other 10% either sleeping or too tired to do ANYTHING- sounds like a great deal doesn't it?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved my fleeting visit to York many years ago! Lovely seeing all that beauty again! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I have never been there and just started to go around the UK but one day we will explore more. The funny thing my girl told me she wants to go up on the Dumo again on Friday and I will think of you when I catch my breath following her ....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a wonderful day. I want you to be my tour guide when I come to the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore York. One of those places that I'm happy to have been to and would return many times if I had the chance. Jorvik has improved vastly since the early years and the museum us great too. For me though it's just the beauty of the streets and minster that do it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would have been with your mum having a cup of tea while you crazies teetered with the gargoyles on the roof. I went to York as a child and haven't been since - we need to go!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We planned to do York last year when we were in Scarborough but the fabulous weather meant we didnt have to use the wet weather protocols! *g* One day I will get there, I have always fancied it.
    P.S. Yes! As a fellow mother of a museum lover(s) I'm hoping she is missing the eyeroll gene, too! I always loved them. And art galleries. I live in hope.

    ReplyDelete
  13. bloody hell, that's high. Eeeeek!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A lovely post Susan, reading it and the comments make me feel very lucky to call York my home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. York sounds like a very interesting place to visit. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I love York, especially the Minster. But you're much braver than I am, I've never gone up there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounded fun right up to the stairs part lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love York. We walked the city walks last time I was there and had the best Sunday roast with amazing Yorkshire puddings - of course! My two are 15 and 17 now and are still happy to walk around historic sites - maybe it's in the genes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like a great day out in a wonderful city! See you all tomorrow, I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I have not been to York for a long time.. Need to go again!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always have to pass on these viewing opportunities...bad knees so glad your girls are such good travelers. You are sharing your love of travel and opening their eyes to all sorts of fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.