Friday 16 May 2014

Blogger's Quilt Festival

I don't think there are many people left in the quilting online community who aren't aware of the Blogger's Quilt Festival organised by Amy from Amy's Creative Side twice a year to coincide with Quilt Market. It keeps us all entertained when we aren't stalking IG to see what new lines of fabric are being released. I have found and followed so many new blogs through this quilt festival because so much talent is on display from around the world. So if you have never joined in, please do. The more the merrier.

AmysCreativeSide.com

To those new to my blog, welcome and thank you for stopping by. I am a Canadian living in the middle of England. Wife, mother of two, quilter, baker, and champion ditherer at times. If you would like to see some of the other things I have made over time there are two tabs at the top of the page where many of them are shown.

To those who follow my blog it will come as no surprise that I am entering my hexie quilt, Blowing Bubbles, into the festival. After some deliberation I put it in the Scrappy Quilts category. There were an awful lot of different fabrics used in this quilt.


The original idea for this quilt came about when I was doodling on some scrap hexie graph paper one day. The idea took hold, and the LV/blue ombre effect developed in my mind. I started it before Christmas, but what with the holidays I didn't get much done. Then, come the start of January, I entered it into a local quilt show here in the UK. That lit a fire under me, let me tell you! I needed to have it delivered to the organisers by the middle of April.

The quilt is made with 1.5" hexies. It is all hand pieced. I chose my blues, got out my LV fabrics (thankfully very varied from participating in a few charm and layer cake swaps) and worked on it in chunks, piecing the blue hexies and interiors one by one, and then slowly joining them up. My approach was a little haphazard but it got me there in the end.


I quilted it by machine, one hexie at a time - except the blues. The LVs each got a swirly, curly snail FMQ'd on them. The blues were hand quilted with perle cotton.


The binding was scrappy as well, reflecting the ombre effect of the blue hexie 'bubbles'. And the backing is the ubiquitous Ikea numbers fabric that so many of us use.

What I love about using so many different LV fabrics is how much colour and quirkiness is in the quilt when you look close, but how these fabrics do their job of dropping to the background when the quilt is looked at as a whole.


The finished quilt measures about 49" x 53" and contains approximately 500 hexies. It is my modern take on a traditional method of quilting. Surprisingly, I really enjoyed the hand piecing. I won't do another for a little while but I am not ruling it out from happening again in the future.


Thank you so much for stopping to read about my quilt and I do hope you enjoy the Blogger's Quilt Festival as much as I always do. 


Susan

36 comments:

  1. Wow. I've been following you on instagram, but it's my first time on your blog! Love your quilt. So much work! But the details are amazing. Love the pattern you've designes, and the quilting looks amazing! Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super entry! Love the variety of fabrics you've used in this quilt. The design/arrangement just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still love this quilt and am impressed at the patience you had with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always adored this quilt but had never noticed the ombre binding! You clever cookie. Now, to find another category for my medallion that isn't scrappy, who needs this as the competition! *g*

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a beautiful job on this quilt - it's a great entry into the festival. I, too, hadn't noticed the ombre binding before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it is stunning Susan!!!! Got to be a winner!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much work!! And in such a short time. A great entry Susan :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! You can be so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Still love this quilt. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH WHAT is that lobster fabric?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great Hexie Quilt! I always thought that Hexie quilts took YEARS and Years to make. Not so anymore... I had to think a while on what LV was. 'Low Volume', right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great choice and I think it deserves another outing, and another...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this Susan. A beautiful quilt x

    ReplyDelete
  14. It really is beautiful and I love seeing the close ups!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Susan, this is amazing! Most beautiful hexagon quilt! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm in awe of this quilt, Susan (still can't believe all the hand stitching that went into this... wow). A beautiful and creative take on hexies.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I still love this, just by the way ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's great to see this gorgeous quilt again!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. beautiful! and all that hand sewing - wow! no dithering on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this for what it is, and for the amount of effort you put into it

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dag Nabbit- Blogger appears to have eaten my original comment.

    OK - I'll try again. I love this quilt for it's originality and your brilliant execution. I love that its modern and traditional at the same time. The quilting is inspired and Im so glad you shared it for the festival!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another favourite! Is it weird that it reminds me of carbon atoms? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. There is so much of you in this quilt - it is wonderful. A winner for sure

    ReplyDelete
  24. You've made a wonderful quilt! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's beautiful. I love the photos of all the different fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely. Lots of beautiful fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this quilt on so many levels. It's gorgeous. It's so complicated I can't believe you got it done so quickly. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful quilt-so much work there

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great to see the little lobster in there...fantastic quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Very pretty! I didn't see that last large hexie shape on the left until the last picture! He's sneaky.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow so much work. Came out fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is fabulous! I love all of those low volume hexies!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.