Sunday 30 December 2012

To Save My Sanity...

... I started to think about sewing today in the 'House of the Sick'. All visitors to us for the holidays have now been cancelled. The freezer over flows with food I made in advance. I eat the cookie mountain with abandon. I avoid the germs, and am getting bored senseless.

So there was only one thing to do. Get the fabric out. After all, I no longer need to keep the dining room table free for sumptuous buffets of food for guests. The gingerbread house got shoved to one end of the table. But I thought you might like to have a peak at it anyway.


I've been contemplating what to make first for 2013. First on my list of 'must do' projects are my long overdue bee blocks for various bees. Some I can show you and some I can't. But all will be done before too long. The fabric was cut for Cindy's blocks.


And I raided the girls' maths kits for a compass to draw circles for Sarah's blocks. Oh, and used my handy dandy mini rotary blade to cut out those circles. It is amazing! Love it already. Who knew I needed one of these and so soon too?!


I fished around in my stash and found the bulk of a layer cake of Salt Air. I want to make a quilt for someone special to me and this line seems very appropriate for her. I paired up squares and pinned them together in preparation of sewing lots of quarter square triangles.


And then I dug up this delicious pile of ten inch squares that were sent to me as an extra in the For the Love of Solids swap last winter. I have always been in such awe of this gorgeous pile that I knew I wanted them to not go straight in my stash but for most of them to be used in a quilt together. I have finally decided which design I want to go with. I am ready to start cutting. But scared too as I love this stack so much I don't want to mess it up.


That's as far as I got today. But it was enough to make me feel better mentally. Gave me something to focus on and has my mind all stirred up and ready to sew again. Woohoo!

Susan

28 comments:

  1. You started so lovely things and the new year did not even begin! I love the fabrics and the Salt Air is fab. I am sad, I did not order it last time when I had the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pretty fabrics would cheer me up too.

    Hope all feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sewing therapy!! It sounds well deserved. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. hooray for sewing! If you need help with those cookies...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabric playtime! The perfect way to spend a day! I sincerely hope that that the magic of 2013 zaps those germs and is a completely healthy one for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last pic of rainbowish fabrics almost made me dash off to my sewing room to start cutting too.

    Take it easy with the caring for the sick and make sure you balance it out with more cutting and sewing !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous. If you get stuck with the house demolition I could easily cope with a wall or something ;-)
    So good to see you frolicking in fabric, its bound to cheer you up a bit. big love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's nice to see you finding time to do something you love. Take care of yourself and please don't get sick too. Looking forward to a fun year of sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being bored has certainly sparked your creative juices. Sorry that folks at yours are still unwell, hope it passes very soon. You have lots of lovely plans afoot, can't wait to see how they come together into the wonderfulness that you do so well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm, after all that you might need to eat the gingerbread house for energy :oD I have visions of you cutting with one hand, and airily waving a bit around scattering cookie crumbs with gay abandon with the other...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope everyone feels better soon! I just took the Christmas tree and trimmings down today. I need back to normal....been sewing some this afternoon. I have a couple of orders to get to work on.

    Happy New Year Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done you - I so wanted to sew todaybut still lurgy ridden, maybe tomorrow.......

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sewing is the very best therapy :o) Look forward to seeing these grow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a brilliant way to spend the day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would be right along there in the cookie mountain if it was me....and sewing as well of course. Hope everyone feels better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks way more constructive to my Sizzix-winding marathon, although I know the result will be AMAZING - no pressure!
    Those fabrics do look lovely though.
    'Ick be gone asap xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous fabrics: my latest star quilt is salt air: love it. Glad to hear a you are still avoiding the germs

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad to see you are looking ahead to 2013 and have some wonderful plans. Can't wait to see how they progress! So sorry we won't be able to hook up this time but perhaps in the spring or summer :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. you defo need the cookies to ward off germs! gorgeous fabrics and perfect way to save your sanity

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh what a rotter that you still have sickies! Glad you got some sewing therapy in though! Love the sound of your sewing plans. Hope it won't be too long til everyone are on their feet again (just in time for school!). Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. So glad to see you've shifted gears and switched your nurses hat for your sewing needles. I hope the rest of the family jumps back to good health real soon.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. I expect everyone is happier when you are sewing. I am eating the cookie mountain too and have no excuses either.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such pretty pretty fabric. Good luck with the cookie mountain!

    ReplyDelete
  24. sorry you had to cancel all your plans for the holidays, but at least you found a way to make it productive. Stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I'm so happy to see you sewing and not nursing stickies! Gets a little stir crazy this time of,year! Happy mountain munching!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank goodness for fabric therapy! I hope the lurgy retreats soon but that the improved health of the sickies doesn't impede your sewing progress as I can't wait to see what you're making!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nice fabrics. I've always loved Salt Air but never bought it. I think it sold out everywhere before it could get to be sales stock! Getting organise feels good doesn't it? I spent the last two days cleaning up and sorting out the sewing room. I then spent today sewing some ufos I wanted to get finished before I start new things. Yeah right! But I did finish a quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.