Sunday 23 December 2012

It's Starting to Feel a Bit Like Christmas

Everyone has a trigger that sets them on that proper Christmas spirit. In this house it is doing the gingerbread cookies. It signals that my mum and stepdad are here - because we don't do the cookies without my mum. It signals that there are only a couple more sleeps until Christmas morning. It signals that all shopping is done and there shouldn't be any reason to leave the house other than for pleasant walks and to pick up the turkey from the village butcher.

All the gifts are bought/made, I hope! Just lots of wrapping to do still. I'm not very good at doing that in advance as much as I plan on it year in and year out. The family time has started and everyone is winding down from routines, and fighting germs. It's all good here.

So with lots of gingerbread dough made a couple of days ago all we needed was the child labour.


A myriad of sprinkles. This was only the tip of the rainbow -


And four piping bags. Then the fun began.


I finished off the Christmas cake at the same time. It isn't my finest moment - but then again cake decorating is most definitely not my forte. It also didn't help that Emily decided a big blob of icing (that was supposed to resemble a pile of snowballs) would be the perfect finish. She and I glared daggers at each other for a while. But you can't stay mad when you are decorating cookies. And I had to admit that as the cake was not exactly a work of art in the first place so did it really matter?!


Much more important that it taste good.

I hope that everyone is enjoying their own Christmases in their own way. I shall be taking a week or so off blogging to concentrate on the important stuff - my family.

A very Merry Christmas to all and the very best for 2013!

Susan

29 comments:

  1. I love the cake!! You can tell that the kidlets had a hand in it, which makes it extra special! Have a wonderful time with your family xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cake looks fab! Merry Christmas - have a lovely time xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks perfect from here!
    Merry Christmas to all in your house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a fabulous relaxing Christmas with the family x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks likea perfect Christmas cake to me! Mine is marzipaned and iced today, even sporting a ribbon! A merry very Christmas to all and one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas have a wonderfully relaxing time with the family. You're right, as long as it tastes good, that's what matters. Who knows, snowballs on Christmas cake might be the next new thing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the cake will taste great, and that's what counts, remember perfect lives are an illusion put forward by unhappy people! Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christmas cakes should look just like that - it's lovely.
    Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome collection of sprinkles! Merry Christmas Suse, have a wonderful day :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great and I am so sure it also tastes great! So lovely to make gingerbread (even if we don't) and the decoration of the cake is lovely!

    Happy Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The children have done a fine job of decorating the gingerbread - love that selection of sprinkles that you have. Your cake looks good enough to dive into ... wish I could. ;)
    Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy, yummy! The gingerbread looks fabulous! And once the cake is cut and tasted the pile of snowballs will be forgotten! Happy Christmas to the whole family from a hot and sunny Melbourne!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Christmas to you and yours too. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that array of sprinkles.
    Have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All those bakes look fab! Have a super time with your family. jxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Merry Christmas to you and your whole family! The cake is wonderful, even with the snowball blob. Did innocent Santa throw it at those kids?? I love the cookies too, I made hundreds myself yesterday and today, I might have to ice some, yours look so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Merry Christmas Susan!! Have an awesome time with your family there.
    Hugs
    Kat xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very Merry Christmas, lovely Susan! Sory, but I really like the wee snowball blob - it's just waiting for those two cuties to get off their sled and start chucking! And hey, it beats a spray tan cake!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks fun! I love all the glittery sprinkles for the cookies and the cake is great - such a fun winter scene :)
    Have a wonderful Christmas and a great New Year!
    Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. the cake looks awesome and the cookies have a fab time x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Christmas Susan - and wishing you a happy, heathy and stressfree 2013!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a sweet family tradition! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Merry Christmas to you all. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Merry Christmas, hope Santa's good to you all! And look on the bright side, at least you didn't run out of icing like my mum did, so we have a 3/4 iced cake ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Merry Christmas Susan. hope you and the family have a great one. Also your blog is simply the best.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the look of the gingerbread, I must have a go at making these in gluten free.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can smell that gingerbread from here...mmmmmmm Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.