Monday 17 November 2014

When Inspiration Strikes

I woke up early Saturday morning, bright eyed and bushy tailed (so to speak). The house was peaceful as everyone else had the sense to sleep later than they did on weekdays. As I eased myself into the day I suddenly had inspiration for a quilt. No idea where it came from as I had just been sat reading the news online when the pattern popped into my head.

So I drew it out in Touchdraw - as you do. It was as simple pattern and I very soon had the fabric requirements sorted and was happily delving into my stack of rainbow charms. I eliminated the pink and purple charms as this quilt was to be for a boy, and once I had pulled enough fabric I trimmed the majority of the charms down to 4.5". Made some HSTs with the rest, combined with some Kona Charcoal, and got piecing. Sometimes these things just come about quickly and efficiently and this weekend was one of those times.

By Sunday lunchtime I had a quilt top measuring 48" x 64".


I feel really happy with this endeavour after my weeks of little to no sewing time.

Once I finished this I went about adding the borders to the Wee Wander quilt. I confess that I kept the dimensions for the side borders slightly narrower so that I could cut WOF fabric strips for the top and bottom borders.


The borders bring the final size to 43" x 56". Part of me thinks it should be bigger but the other part of me thinks that a four year old will be perfectly happy with this - and I can always make her a bigger one in a couple more years time. Who knows what fabric lines I will have fallen in love with by then.

Susan

14 comments:

  1. loved watching your Saturday quilt happen on instagram. it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wee wander quilt is so sweet, and I'm sure will be perfect for a 4 yr old. My eldest still used his baby quilt until he was around 10! Rx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I really like the design you came up with for the boys quilt. And your wee wander is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a good eye for pattern designs. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!
    I was given an old copy of 'Love Patchwork & Quilting' and really like your 'Precious Pieces Cushion'. I'm very glad I've looked up your blog from the address given in the magazine. Your boys quilt is very striking - clever, simple design combined with super bright colours! Do you think it will find it's way into a magazine? I'm sure it would grab the attention of any editor!
    Allison, UK

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Your impromptu quilt is gorgeous. You totally rock getting that done in less than a weekend.

    Wee Wander is perfect for a 4 year old, and as you say it gives you a reason to make another one in a few years. Love that pink border.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that inspired quilt top! gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man you're red hot when inspiration strikes! I wish it struck me like that!! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely work, and yeah, I'd say thats big enough for now. You can always spend a weekend knocking up another masterpiece later ;-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's perfect for a 4 year old. I really love the other quilt too, it's a fun design.

    ReplyDelete
  11. both quilts are gorgeous, and both recipients will be dead chuffed, and have loads of fun both playing with and sleeping under these.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love both quilts. Your quilts are inspiring. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both lovely ! But I wouldn't expect anything else now would I?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love them both, the little girls one has really got my brain ticking over, it seems like such a simple - yet great idea for a quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.