Friday 7 November 2014

The Start Of Another Gift

I have a pattern to write. A quilt to baste. Bee blocks to make. So instead I hauled out my precious hoard of Wee Wander fabrics yesterday. I love this line, and bought what I could of it, which while not being the line in its entirety is more than enough to make an interesting quilt for a certain lovely four year old in Sweden.


Then I unfolded, laid different cuts beside each other, looked at my solids, sketched, dithered - and did nothing. The prints on these various cuts really vary in size and I was stumped on how to show them off to their best.

What a difference a night's sleep makes. This morning I got a window of opportunity - that won't happen again until Monday at the earliest - and just started cutting and piecing as I went. I don't have a pattern I am following. Not even a sketch to guide me. I am making decisions on the fly and so far so good I think. It seems to be my preferred method of sewing much of the time.


Shown above is the first 18" x 27" of the main part of the quilt. I am basing all my cuts on factors of three inches. Because of the narrow 1" cut white sashing between the blocks of fabric I do not have to add seam allowances into my maths. I am now working on expanding the mosaic. I have a feeling I will eventually bring the quilt up to an appropriate size for a four year old with some wide sashing, but we shall see how big I get this first.

Actually, how big does a quilt need to be for a four year old?

Susan

16 comments:

  1. Good question. Depends on the size of their bed I suppose - either full single or a junior bed. I have made a single quilt for my grandaughter, expecting to give it to her when she went into her first bed, so it is single size. Now she has just gone into a junior bed, (she is 2) so I may have to make another quilt to tide her over until she moves up again. I bought a few large pieces in this same line, 'cos I loved it and have been wondering how to use it. I like your idea and may copy it. Look forward to pictures and measurements! 😄

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do not really ask how big a quilt for a four year old has to be? She will be growing and you do not want her feet to stick out at the end? She needs to be able to roll herself into the quilt and snuggle into over her ears. So make it big. Those fabrics are never going to be out of fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is working out brilliantly! If this 4 year old uses quilts and blankets to make tents and dens like mine did, then you need a big quilt!! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your lack of planing is coming together beautifully. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susan! What adorable Fabrics and colours! I think you found perfect way to show these beauties! It looks interestin with different block sizes. x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  6. How pretty for a little girl! I think you'd want to make it fit a single bed, wouldn't you? That way she can use it for a long time - because she's going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your on the fly approach - thats often how I make things too. Keep going - its working. Gorgeous!

    Yep that quilt needs to be big enough for her to roll herself up in , have a tea party under , and go on her bed for those cold winter nights.

    ReplyDelete
  8. See being a practical mum I prefer kids quilts that don't drag on the floor when they are snuggling on the settee, I always go smaller and mine still use quilts to snuggle and watch tv rather than sleep under. I'd say big enough for a small dolls picnic

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never thought of improving in that fashion -- cutting pieces to multiple sizes and using a constant sashing size so I never have to add seam allowances. Brilliant! I am stealing that idea immediately. And i love the way your quilt is coming together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this line, it's going to be a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am not four years old, but I want this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really like the way this is turning out. You have such a great eye.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is lovely, a great idea to use narrow white sashing. Your maths must be better than mine, many years ago a Christmas cushion turned into a Christmas wall hanging here. And the maddening bit is I didn't even notice the maths was shew wiff

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful choice of fabrics for a little girl. Awesome effort for no plan or pattern! Love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.