Wednesday 19 November 2014

Back To Normal

Yesterday I was at Ikea and I bought the backing fabrics for the girl quilt and the boy quilt. Today I woke up with plans. Basting plans.

Yeah plans, without a deadline hanging over my head, and an empty house so no one placing demands upon me. Needless to say I messed about, sorted some fabric, looked at IG photos, ate cake (of course) and dithered. I eventually got the wadding out and in the process found a scrap of it just the right size for a cushion. Next thing I knew I wasn't even thinking about basting, but I was making a cushion cover. Typical!


This eventual cushion will be for one of our lovely hosts in Sweden this past summer. Their sitting room and dining room is very monochrome in black, grey and white, with just a few touches of teal. I quite liked working to this limited palette. 


I didn't do what I was supposed to but I had a great time. I was spiral quilting at full tilt, happy as can be, and there was even sunshine to take a photo of the finished front - which totally threw the colours out but it was a beautiful day and I refuse to complain about that. I may not have done anything planned but I did do something. In my life that is called a successful day.

Susan

19 comments:

  1. Great way to spend a day. It's ok to bend the rules, you're in charge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomorrow is an other day and plenty of time to baste the two quilts. The pillow will be gorgeous! I like the little bit of color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this palette and some days it's just nice to have the freedom to go with the flow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When inspiration strikes you've just gotta go with it! Fab cushion! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. and what tops the day off is the restful colour palette - uber cool, sophisticated, tall blonde swedes (sorry, getting a bit carried away there)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is most definitely called a successful day in my life too. I am putting together pieces from a BOM that I have neglected for the past couple of months. Slow, but getting there.
    I absolutely love those colours. Teal is my all-time favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a beautiful cushion, I think it was a fantastic day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did something you loved and created something beautiful - I'd call it a very successful day. I like the limited colour combination and the spiral quilting looks prefect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a successful day in my book, too!! Beautiful work, missus. No surprises there, eh? *g*

    ReplyDelete
  10. definitely a successful day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Kaufman ring fabric. I also use it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the cushion cover. the teal center just pops out at you. The backing fabric is great too. Great day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those go-with-the-flow days are to be treasured! We don't get too many of them! And the results of your days efforts are great!
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your log cabin cushion - I've had a basting day on the go for the last 2 weeks and still not gotten to it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love days like yours. Inspiration strikes and you just shelve every other plan and go for it. The cushion looks lovely! Great way to spend the day I think! Very worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You describe nearly every one of my days off, which is only one per week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree, those really are the best kind of days. It looks fabulous, I never could resist a good spiral!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.