Monday 3 November 2014

How Did That Happen?

I turned my back and ten days had passed since my last blog post. That's never happened unless I've been on holiday. It's been so busy here that I haven't been on my computer at all the whole time. Any online stuff has been quick looks on my phone for the most part. So bad has it become that I am currently sat on Emily's bedroom floor writing this - because that is where I found my laptop.

So what has been happening? Well there was the boring but essential company stuff. Enough said on that subject. Then the girls started half term.

I did manage to make a cushion. It is a gift for one of their friend's who lives on the Isle of Wight. She just had a birthday plus her family is moving house and she is getting her own bedroom for the first time ever so I thought I would make something that was for her own space.


I have since bought an insert that fits. And the pink piggy fabric is important because their friend has a major pig thing going. I dug out my one special piece given to me by Jan ages and ages ago and I was saving for just the right project.

We went and spent the day with family on Tuesday. And Thursday I took the girls to London. Specifically to see the poppies at the Tower of London.


The crowds were horrendous, but despite this it was totally worth going. The girls really thought it was awe inspiring, and thought provoking. As did I. I didn't think that the vast sea of poppies would have such an effect on me really. But it did. The crowds were so bad that the following day officials were requesting people to stay away and closed Tower Hill underground station to try and control the amount of people viewing. I think this poppy exhibit has really struck home with people and caught the hearts and minds of the population, and rightly so.

We met up with the delightful Shevvy at the Tower of London. Thank goodness for mobile phones to talk to each other so Shevvy could home in on us in the crowds! I think we would still be looking for each other otherwise.


The remainder of the day was spent stuffing ourselves having dim sum in Chinatown. Then I introduced the girls to the delights of the Liberty's Christmas shop. They loved it. Who wouldn't mind? And on our way through the train station to catch our train home we were serenaded by the guardsmen band. A spectacular day from beginning to end.

Friday was Halloween, which we spent with friends.


Emily decided she wanted to be cute, not scary, this year. Helen had no such reservations. Though I think the pumpkin takes the prize for true horror. Never underestimate a child's ability to do gruesome.

Finally, during all that was going on, I made a quilt. A big one - for me - as it measures up at approximately 63" x 78". The reveal won't happen until January, but I really like this one. Even if my finger is sore as **** from stitching down almost 300" of binding yesterday.


And that is what goes on around here when I'm not blogging, or reading blogs, or generally faffing about wasting time.

Susan

21 comments:

  1. Wow. That is a lot of poppies. Spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see that poppy display, it is always even more striking to see these kind of things in person. Sounds like a good week, not much time for faffing about at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that you've been busy and having some fun adventures. That is an incredible display at the Tower of London - I'm sure there were a lot of emotional people! Love your pillow - no doubt she'll be thrilled to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No wonder those 10 days went in the blink of an eye! You've been having lots of adventures and making loving things. :o)

    Wow. That poppy display looks incredible. Thanks so much for sharing a peek of your past week, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are great pics S! You have been a busy bee! Can't wait to see your quilt! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. There you are!! It's lovely to know you've been having fun while you've been away from your computer - the cushion is gorgeous and I really can't wait to see that quilt!

    P.S. Thimble?!! Might help your finger next time there's binding to be done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! What a beautiful pillow! Why I don't make pillowsmore often? Looks like you had wonderful trip to London! I wonder where the month went (each month) - I have always last month on my wall calendar. Almost said, have a great weekend, but that passed already, right! Have a lovely time, then! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would love to have seen the poppies, but tear-jerking enough seeing them on TV.
    Great stitching too xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. The poppies look so amazing and it sounds you've been sooooo busy. And I swear that my blog is some kind of time-warp at the moment, days seem to disappear between my blog posts!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots going on just as it has been here...that's half term for you!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Busy busy, hope you've managed to get a bit of peace today, now the girls are back at school :o). x

    ReplyDelete
  12. cant wait to see what you did with that Doe....

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a lot of poppies and a lot of people too! What a wonderful cushion -- such a special gift. Can't wait to see the reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  14. sometimes a week passes by in normal time and sometimes it just goes past in a speedy vortex type thing. A very busy week and a great cushion

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your pebble quilting is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The poppy exhibition looks amazing. And it’s heartening to see people paying their respects by viewing it –and rightly so .

    Two of my favourite people in that picture – you and Shev look fabulous!

    Helen and Emily both look great at opposite ends of the Halloween costume thingy.

    And I’d love to comment on your secret project but since none of us can see much of it, I’ll just say I’m sure it’s fantastic as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  17. At least you got to see the poppies. I'm impressed that it means a lot to so many people. Looks like a great day spent in the city. Have you just started working for your family business? I've never heard you mention it before.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that pillow and am super impressed by the gruesome pumpkin! I confess that I wasn't aware of the poppy exhibition, but I've searched and enjoyed reading about it's significance. I'm glad you got to see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a gorgeous pillow! And those Poppies are incredible. It must have been so moving to be there. What a busy 10 days you've had, no wonder you've no time for blogging!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Woah. You squeeze a lot into 10 days! Em's looking adorable and H is looking scarily comfortable all freaked out. The cushion is gorgeous, of course. That's so cool for someone getting her first single bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That was a lovely catch up post. We celebrate Veterans Day (our Remembrance Day) tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.