Wednesday 8 October 2014

What I Did On The Weekend

You may - or may not - remember that I designed a bee block for myself based on the + and x block last winter. Then all my Stitch Tease bee mates had to keep quiet about it as Love Patchwork & Quilting commissioned a cushion made with the same blocks.


That's the cushion I made for the magazine above, and to the right is how the blocks looked together when I had 27 of them. I really like the effect of the blues and oranges in various shades together. This weekend I finally rounded the blocks up to 30 and pieced them together. Then I decided they needed a border.


 I cannot express how happy I am with this quilt top. For me, the border makes a huge difference to the overall look of it. I like the pattern floating on the white. The borders also brought it up to a size that was more to my liking. It measures approximately 58" x 68" now.

I still have to source a backing fabric. And I plan on using medium to dark blues in a scrappy binding. But I am that much closer to a finish and a Christmas present for someone on my list. I know where this will be headed but will refrain from saying on the off chance that person ever looks at this blog.

Susan

33 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! And I agree about the border, clever girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how much space was in that stable! you all made so lovely tops! What a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummmm, who decided it needed a border?? :-p

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's stunning Susan, and I agree with the addition of the border (and whoever decided it needed it 😜)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's totally gorgeous! I love blue and orange together. jxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is absolutely gorgeous! I love the colours and the border is fabulous. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this, the placement of your colours really make this quilt shine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's stunning :) Lucky recipient!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this. Should've snuck it home in my case when you weren't looking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know I read your blog and I'm thrilled to see my Christmas present! Hurry up and finish it because I want to snuggle! It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks fab Mrs, but then you know I think that, and good luck on finishing it for the recipient! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Susan! I love thise set! This pattern is one of my favourites even haven't made it and your colours are perfect! As i love orange and turquoise, it's time for me to make something with orange and blue - looks so beautiful together! Border is great and it makes the secondary ... oh s forgot the Word, but you know what i mean: the second 'pattern' there is. x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another stunning piece of creativity Susan. Love all those pops of orange!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Orange and blue are so vibrant and with the White it looks as if the colours are floating
    Well done

    ReplyDelete
  15. It makes some fun secondary patterns. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such gorgeous colours, it makes a fab quilt! The cushion in the magazine was just lovely too. Now you have the complete set!

    ReplyDelete
  17. gorgeous, love how you've improved the pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow whoever gets this will be a very lucky person! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This turned out so beautiful. I think stitch Tease is the Best bee of people that can't meet in person. Each person is kind, generous and on time with their blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's really lovely, I especially like the colours you have used in the blocks. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a stunning quilt, I loved the cushion when it appeared in LPQ, great colours.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is one seriously lucky recipient! It's a fabulous quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I thought we all decided on that border ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your quilt and cushion. What magazine was it featured in? Can I still get it?

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's beautiful. It would go lovely in Helen's new room! If I had a blog my daughter would surely read it, just to check what I said about her!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.