Thursday 9 October 2014

The Other Thing I Did On The Weekend (Last Post I Promise)

Once I had the orange and blue blocks sewn into a completed quilt top I felt that I could give myself permission to start something new. I sketched out this block ages ago. I bought the fabric for it this summer. I was ready to finally try piecing it.


I've wanted to do a red and white Christmas quilt since last winter. I'm calling the block Paper Snowflakes. Not sure if people will think that the name fits or not, but it is what it is. It's a 24" block. After I made the trial block, and my cutting instructions for myself worked (with a tweak here and there), I went ahead and made three more blocks.


Five more blocks and I will have a quilt top. I'm not sure if it looks like paper snowflakes now, or something rather Roman in essence, but I like it. They are not too difficult to piece and nine blocks will make a good sized quilt. I may have another border planned again too. I'm into borders these days.

Susan

24 comments:

  1. Ooh! I like these!! I turned my phone around to see what they'd look like set on point!! That could be an interesting quilt top :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous! And I kinda like that the snowflakes aren't too........snowflakey. It's not too obvious a Chrimbo quilt then - lotsa options for use then! *g*

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's brilliant! You're a maths genius! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are fun! It's going to look fab :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. do the middle one in reverse!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it!
    P.S. I also love Sarah's idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks brilliant and more complicated than you make it sound. I think I had the wrong idea for last weekend all I did was housework and you had all this fun and making!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like these...totally agree that setting them on point accentuates the snowflake look.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! Hard to go wrong with red and white.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks really effective, love red and white, but pattern has a modern graphic feel to it. Looking forward to seeing this quilt progress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely! I thought more of Inkas but snowflakes is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sarah's suggestion to make the centre block in negative is a great one. It's a very striking block pattern. Well done for making it all come together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's lovely. I too love that it's not in your face with the Christmas-y-ness.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a beautiful block! Your quilt will be lovely for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow!! I'm thinking of doing a two colour quilt for my mother in law for Christmas, I'm really liking the simplicity of it. Can't wait to see it done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It does look like a paper snowflake....well done.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like a version of modern snowflakes to me - Brilliant pattern !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are gorgeous, Susan! I also love the way they would look on point ( I moved my head to check :-)).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looking grand! (Bet it's commissioned next ;o) )

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG I love this block!! Is this your design?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.