Saturday 11 October 2014

I Made A Quilt

Actually, I made this quilt before the summer holidays but now I can finally show you. It is in Issue Fourteen of Love Patchwork & Quilting which is now appearing in the post boxes of subscribers. So I can blog this -


I really struggled to come up with a design when I got this commission. Seriously struggled. And then I had work to do for my husband's and my company, and a holiday looming. I was falling into a blind panic. I rejected idea after idea. And my brain was having a major freak out thinking I was headed for failure.

So I came up with this idea, and chain pieced like a mad woman. I posted this to Love Patchwork & Quilting about six hours before we left for our Swedish holiday. I was more than a little relieved (as you can imagine), and happy too, because despite the panic and stress I am really happy with what I eventually made. The fact that the pattern does not fall on a 45 degree angle really appeals to me. As do the colours.

Photo on right by Love Patchwork & Quilting
This quilt was supposed to be for snuggling under as the days get darker and colder. With this in mind I backed it with a super soft, fine pink corduroy. It gives it a little more weight and ups the snuggly factor. It didn't make quilting it any more difficult than normal though. The photo on the left clearly shows the wavy lines I quilted it with. Despite them being close together the quilting went very quickly. (Maybe that was just the panic of the deadline driving me on.)

All three photos courtesy of Love Patchwork & Quilting
To go with the quilt were three accessories. A hot water bottle cover, a mug rug and a coffee cosy. All of these were made with off cuts from the quilt, but could be made as stand alone projects. The hot water bottle cover was designed to be pieced, rather than using a template. The HSTs that were used in two of the projects were off cuts from piecing the diamonds in the quilt top. I have a lot of these wee HST off cuts still. One hell of a lot. I'm just not sure I can face making a cushion cover from such tiny little pieces. They are destined to sit stuffed in a mug for a while longer I think.


Keeping projects secret is the hardest part of making commissions. I am so pleased to finally be able to show you this. Please remember that when I start humming and hawing and hiding things from you again. It is not by choice, but necessity and eventually I do get my ta-dah  moment.


Issue Fourteen is actually chock-a-block full of Christmas ideas so if you have started turning your mind in that direction and started making gifts then this is the issue to buy. I love the cover quilt myself. It totally works for my colour loving brain.

Susan

34 comments:

  1. its a beauty my dear, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colours of this quilt, they make it look warm and cuddly too. I was so pleased with this copy of the magazine and spent ages with it yesterday when it arrived, I do think it is the best one in a long time but then I am partial to Christmas ideas. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a beaut! Worth all the stress for sure. I might need to buy the mag to see how to make it! (So job done for you!! X)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beautiful quilt as are the accessories - well done, you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a beautiful quilt, I love the angle too. And great idea to use the corduroy on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely. I'm still trying to figure out how you made it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a cute one, I love the colours and the angle so much. And I can imagine how snuggly it is with the fine corduroy on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the quilt and love the idea of the pink corduroy as backing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I shall be unwrapping you shortly, but in the meantime this looks great, and love the idea of a cord background.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done. Congratulations. It's a great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your quilt S! You did it again you creative genius! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that quilt Susan . It looks beautiful and the quilting is fabulous . Im a big fan of organic type lines on quilts !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it, beautiful colours and gorgeous design.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Quirky and gorgeous - I love a quilt that makes me look to see how it must have been pieced, guess I'll have to get the mag.!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A wonderful 'ta-da' moment I'd say! Just lovely Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Go you!
    Amazaballs as always. Pretty sure fame hasn't made you less nice, thankgoodness.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love the idea of a needle cord backing, great quilt and the little extras too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The one good thing about going back to work tomorrow is the thought of picking up my copy of LPQ magazine..... Must remember to change the address on my subscription!

    ReplyDelete
  19. just love a Christmas magazine, and your quilt looks pretty cool too (I mean warm and cuddly

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on your being published! I love your quilt! And I do like the angle that the "star flowers" are falling across the quilt. I wish I could get my hands on this magazine...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh how I love thee quilt! Great one Susan! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh I'm so proud of you! It's awesome! Such a clever, clever lady! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's great,I'm actually now a tiny bit disappointed that I dropped my magazine in the bath yesterday

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love this one Susan, it's one of my favs in this issue (along with the cover quilt). I agree about the difficulty of keeping stuff quiet :(

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's lovely, and it must have been so hard to keep quiet! I don't know if I could take the stress of having a commission and having to decide what to make with a deadline looming... (though one day I'd like to try). Maybe use your offcuts for some more mug rugs (Xmas pressies)?

    ReplyDelete
  26. It is awesome! Adore the colours and glad the cord went ok !

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the cover of this months magazine too. I've never actually seen a copy of the magazine to browse through (not a fan of online magazines) but I will buy one if I find one. It always seems to have great inclusions from the bloggers I follow! Do you get paid for your commission or are you gifted the fabric in return for publishing the pattern in the magazine?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Found a stack of Love Patchwork and Quilting magazines in a charity shop. This quilt was in one of them. Love, love love it! I had to find you and let you know, even if it is 2017!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.