Sunday 19 October 2014

Don't Tell The Quilt Police!

I had a lot of the 'necessary' to do today so when I finally had some spare time to sew I wasn't in the mood for rules. I just wanted to play. So I picked up the HSTs that were offcuts from Paper Snowflakes and chose a pattern I liked. And I pieced. I just sewed those little buggers together, without pinning or pausing.


This was about relaxing and enjoying myself, not about perfect points. Some of them worked out fine, but others? Well, just don't look too closely.

Don't get me wrong. If this was for someone else, I would have been taking it a lot more seriously and done my best to get those points just right. But this was for me, for fun. Perfection wasn't on my list of requirements at all.

Once I piece this cushion cove to be, I dug around for some backing fabric, and instead found some fusible fleece. Excellent as that meant no need for fabric to back the block. Quilting commenced forthwith.


A quick spiral, where I got the centre right for the first time ever. I drew on the start of the spiral with a water soluble pen and stitched the beginning with my free motion foor, the one with the open front so I could switch over to my walking foot when I had enough of a start. Why have I never done this before? Why?!

Despite a weekend of doing 'real' work (Ha! Like motherhood and sewing isn't enough.) it was nice to get some fabric time in. It's good for the soul.

Susan

20 comments:

  1. nosy me, what was the REAL work :D gorgeous block and great that you made something for yourself! That is so important

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great, I love the circle quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your offcuts make a fabulous block in its own right! You should name that one too! Love the quilting! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the circular pattern on an angular pieced block. Great juxtaposition (and now I have used up all the big words available to me for Monday ....)

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks perfect Susan.....I like how you quilted it too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun! I might just use this as an idea for the buckets of HST off cuts I have on the shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect use; points look fine to me x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Points look just fine to me too! Perfect pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good clue there... I am too lazy to implement it however!
    Lovely pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I despise both the traditional and modern quilt police so you're safe with me :) I can't believe how neat your off cuts are! I just hack off the excess, wonky lines and all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sheesh, it looks pretty darned perfect to me!
    Rx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks gorgeous! Love the quilting too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. the points look pretty perfect to me! Now this next comment might bring the quilt police to MY door, but I'll risk it - when I'm quilting something where the back won't be seen (like a cushion cover, or something I'll line) - I don't use a backing fabric, just the front and the wadding... shock horror!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an awesome cushion cover! I love the circular quilting you've done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks pretty good from here. It is nice to have a 'bonus' item from the off cuts. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks good to me, she says, peering at the screen to find a wonky bit!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, there's no way my points would look half as good as that if I didn't pin!! It's fabulous!

    P.S. I'm with Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is beautiful. I love the red and white ..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Not sure what you mean by perfection as they all look that to me! Love your recent red white makes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this project! Red and white is what does it for me, and the design, and the quilting. Only looked for funny points coz you referred to them, otherwise I would never notice!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.