... you had a big birthday coming up in a few months? What if this birthday involved a '0'? What if you were totally flummoxed about how you could be this age (almost) as you don't feel it. On any given day you feel either 30, or 80!
What if you were asked what you would like for your birthday?
I make no secret of the fact that I do not have a sewing room of my own. The sewing room is the dining room. Only the sewing takes over and then the dining doesn't occur and we make use of the coffee table instead. We eat together as a family, just not properly sat down. Plopped on the floor is more like it. All because my sewing takes over.
So I had a think about what I would like for my birthday. Obviously I can't have this.
So what I did ask for is part of the dining room. All we have to do is remove some stuff. Out with the girls old computer desk with the now defunct computer. Out with the rowing machine as it really is a dust collector and little else. That would give me a nice stretch of wall all for me, me, me.
I am rather excited about this.
Himself said he would build, or customise, a work station for me. Here's where you all come in. I'll tell you some of my ideas and then feel free to butt in and tell me what I really, really need. I do have a fair amount of fabric storage, or will do as I shall be nicking some more Ikea Trofast units from Emily's room. What I need is an effective work station that can be taken with us if and when we move.
Here are a few things I have thought of -
* A fold down extension table to make the unit 'L' shaped but which can be collapsed out the way when entertaining.
* A shallow drawer under the desk top to store scissors, seam ripper, etc. Maybe with a divider inside like a cutlery drawer.
* Holes in the work top to drop down the wires for the machine and the foot pedal because I hate forever tripping over these when I get up and down from my seat.
* Shelves above for storage, and pegboard for thread storage.
* A tall, narrow cupboard that could potentially store the extension table, cutting boards and the like. This could be the work table support at one end of the unit.
What else, folks? I am open to any and all advice, and then we will see what can be incorporated into the design and what will not be practical for our present situation. The idea of having a little corner all of my own is too good to be true. I must make the most of it.