Monday 16 July 2012

Winding Up

This is the last week of the school year here. So it will be a busy one. Today is the swimming gala. We also have the sports day this week and the leavers assembly. Because Helen will be leaving primary school and starting secondary school in September. So much change! There is also the disco that the Y6 parents are hosting in the village hall for them to celebrate this momentous occasion. Oh, and her dance exam happens one evening too.

It will most certainly be busy round here. That's okay though, because it will be followed by weeks of being out of routine, travelling north, Olympic sports watching and general relaxing. Can you tell I am looking forward to that?

Meanwhile I have been contemplating fabric. Yesterday I bought three FQs from Judith (shown bottom of the mosaic), and I also received some fabric from Fluffy Sheep Quilting last week.  I got some more seeds fabric because I love is to much. They are the sort of fabrics that I love to have in my stash because seeing them makes me happy. I got these lovely fabrics, and some solids, from Cindy's shop because I won a prize from the ever funny and talented Katy over at The Littlest Thistle.

A few weeks ago she asked for suggestions of what to do with all the pin cushions and pouches she got at the Retreat. I suggested that she best have a voodoo pin cushion to deal with her less amenable colleagues at work. And I won! Yay!! I really didn't expect to really win anything because it was all good fun so imagine my surprise when she sent me a gift token for Fluffy Sheep Quilting. Huge thank you to Katy. I had a great time spending it. Katy, if you want another pin cushion I can make one with the seeds fabric as a memento.


Yesterday there was also discussion about the differences between Kona Snow and Kona White, as well as Coal and Charcoal. As I have all in my stash - Fluffy Sheep again - I thought I would show you the difference.


I have been using the Charcoal in my Framed Purse Swap purse make with the hexies but needed the Coal for a bee that I am in so I was curious about the difference myself. The coal looks lighter in the top photo than it is in actuality I think. Both are fabulous colours to have in your stash and their ability to show off bright colours is incredible. 

The Kona White versus the Kona Snow is very much a matter of preference. I needed the White for the bee I am in, the same situation as the Coal. But personally I tend to use the Kona Snow all the time and always try to have a good supply in  my stash as it is rather essential to the sewing I do. Yesterday some of the others thought that the Snow looked rather creamy, or yellowish. It might do when viewed on its own, or up against the stark white, but used in quilts it offers up a lovely mellow finish that looks white without being a hard white. You can tell I love it just by looking at some of my biggest projects. I used Snow each time.


The only step towards sewing I did today was having a dig through the stash and the zips I have in stock and thought about making some pouches for Helen's teachers as a leaving gift. I don't tend to do teachers gifts every year, but I do think a thank you at the end of her time at the school would be good. So far I have come up with these combinations, but the sewing will have to wait until tomorrow. I have to go cheer the girls on in the swimming pool now.



Susan

26 comments:

  1. Loving the red and black coffee pots, that will make a lovely lovely pouchy thingy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love the Kona Snow, I usually only use white when combined with another fabric that has a bright white background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your combinations are going to make lovely pouches! Yay for the swimming! We are having our school carnival soon! As a teacher, just more work for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a hectic week, at least you'll have a break from it all very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea to post the side by side comparison - I always forget which is which with the greys. Now if I could just get the blues straight. . . Hint, hint.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you'll need a six week break to recover from this week! Wish Helen luck in her dance exam x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like one of those weeks where you just keep moving. I hope the disco and the dance exam and the good byes and all go well! Nice fabrics - I use both white and snow but I like white better most of the time. I also like both coal and charcoal a lot and use both, but I am searching for a better gray too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like one of those weeks to get under your belt!
    Lucky teachers x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a very busy week! I have got most of August off and can't wait for the break

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your win!
    I agree Snow looks yellowy on it's own, against white but in your projects in looks like a nice white and not too stark.
    I'm making teachers zip pouches too!! God only knows what I'll make next year because he'll be having the same teacher (and I made drawstring bags at Christmas!!)!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have made felt apples (so original me!) and Eloise will be having the same teacher next year also so like Lucy I will have to be more inventive! Good luck getting through the busy week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We`ve been off school for 3 weeks already but summer school and a week away has softened the blow. Good luck with all the activities - looking forward to seeing the zippies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So interesting! I tend to switch between snow and white. It depends on what colors I'm working with, I think. Either one is a winner in my vote.

    What an exciting life your kids leave! You must be exhausted!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I go back and forth between Snow and White, but really love Ash as a regular

    ReplyDelete
  15. love the seeds ,congrats on your win, have a lovely summer lets hope the weather plays too !!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. and i am liking your fabrics for the zippies !!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Busy week ahead then! Love the fabrics for your zippy purses.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ya know what? I'm all good on the pincushion front ;o)

    Good luck with the upcoming week, especially to Helen for the dance exam :o)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Are you trying to tell me that yesterday was all sensible grown up discussions about the subtleties of Kona? Dont believe you..... Congrats on the wins and all that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Enjoy the last week at school, it is very special. It is so different when they move up to senior school. Thanks for showing us the difference between coal and charcoal. Very useful. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the sweetwater with purple zip combo - lucky, lucky teachers, although quite where you'll be finding time for that sewing with everything else going I've no idea! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Our kids went back to school yesterday. I know this because I had umpteen million calls from parents wanting to celebrate.

    Sounds like you have a crazy busy few days going on at your place. Congrats to Helen for moving to big school .

    I think I have to buy some grey fabric now. Damn you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow Susan... you're in for a hectic week! Hope you will have plenty of tissues at the ready for the leaving assembly, will be thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  24. A big week for you all but especially for Helen, hope she enjoys her last few days at primary.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You lucky one! The fabrics are stunning. Ii am still building my stash and bought snow for the first time . Can't wait to use it :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I know you did it! All the pouch making! Well done!

    Good luck to Helen!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.