Tuesday 24 July 2012

£10 and a Bucket Load of Veggies = Me Time

You may wonder how £10 and bucket load of veggies can buy me time but it does, in this house at least. It worked a charm in fact, so well that the effect carried over into today. And I am telling you it was one heck of a deal.

The bucket load of veggies? That was what I bribed the girls to make dinner with yesterday, along with a minuscule bit of chicken. I asked them if they would like to be in charge of dinner. (It's all in how you word it!) They were thrilled and I ticked that box off my things to do. Sewing time was bought.

Now how did I get peace and quiet to ensure more time to do what I needed to do the rest of the day? I bought a paddling pool for £10. Honest! I know, I know, my girls are a bit old for a paddling pool. But here is what I got them.


And, with the weather cooperating fantastically, they proceeded to spend the best part of two days in there. Really, they did. They snorkled. Okay, I have no proof but they did. And they surfed. Ha! You don't believe me but they did. Look, my big show off of a daughter insisted on photographic evidence.

That was Emily demonstrating a wipe out - in slow motion. You never would have thought they would get so much fun out of one five foot(ish) wide paddling pool but it has been great listening to them. While I did heaps of laundry, cleaned, sewed, cooked, and got on with things.

I had to do all that because I am about to have some time out. Starting tomorrow. No housework for two weeks. Woohoo!!

One of the things I accomplished was my Stitch Tease block which isn't due yet but I knew was the next in line for me. It is for Di (Quiltova). She asked for pinwheels. This is one of those blocks I am not allowed to show you. Sorry. It is going to be a big surprise for Di when she gets a completed quilt top next year. All I can show you is this.


Nice, huh?! I think so too.

I've done some other stuff. And got mail. But I am going to pre-write some posts for my wee holidays because I will not be spending much time on the computer between now and our return. Stay tuned to see what has been arriving and what I have been making.

Susan

27 comments:

  1. Very smart missus. Glad the weather co-operated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back on the child labour schemes again I note! I will have to learn from you - ha!

    How fab to see kids making their own fun from something so simple. No sun here - bucketed rain all day yesterday, but today was very warm and dull. Please share your sunshine....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bargain paddling pool! Isn't it great watching kids just be kids!! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are never too old for a paddling pool, especially in this weather-looks like they are having great fun

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Catherine, you're never too old for a paddling pool! We got ours out today and the kids had a whale of a time in it - even the nearly 15yr old!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep we are getting the pool out tomorrow - today was car washing so almost, as fun and I got a clean car out of it!
    Can't wait to get my mits on Di's block x

    ReplyDelete
  7. A paddling pool is for all ages! Simple fun! Have a lovely holiday and enjoy being off the merry-go-round of life for a while. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  8. HAPPY 500th BLOG!!! Can you believe it F I V E H U N D R E D!!! That's a lot in not very long. You are one prolific blogger. Keep up the good work - it's a great read.

    Big Bro

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAPPY 500th BLOG!!! Can you believe it F I V E H U N D R E D!!! That's a lot in not very long. You are one prolific blogger. Keep up the good work - it's a great read.

    Big Bro

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pics - what I wouldn't do for a gasrden and a paddling pool right now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are hilarious! There's not a chance I'd ever be bought with a bucket of veg. Ice cream, maybe :) Well done, Superstar Mama!
    Enjoy your hols! Can't wait to hear all about it when you get home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No diving board,lol. Richard

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have used that trick in the past - the tiny pool one. Kids and water and sun and you are good for a while usually. I hope you have a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to see you're getting some time for you! :) I'm so sorry I didn't get a chance to reply last night before crashing. and dont ask why I'm wide awake now *sigh...
    will you have any internet while you're away or is this it for 2 weeks?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Go you! I've just put paddling pool on my shopping list for when my daughter recovers some energy after her exhausting dance 'summer school'.
    Hope you have a wonderful break xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Enjoy the 'down time'!! I hope the sun and the girls all cooperate to give you a fun time! Love the surfer girl!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks like so much fun! Paddling pools are the best entertainment ever!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How great! I have a pool like that for Clara. She mostly leans over the edge to grab handfuls of grass and mud to bring into the pool with her...

    Intrigue! You'd better be sending the whole picture of the block soon, missy! I want to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm impressed - your holidays are off to a good start. Provide them with a starting point and most kids will make their own fun - because Mum's need holidays too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful block! And of course you know I always have a bucket full of veg in my Car! Lol great start to the hold, have a wonderful time whilst you're away. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey, remember you're not meant to be teasing all of us with those pics... ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, how very clever. You're right - it's all in how you word it. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, have a lovely holiday. Di's block looks great, wink wink! I am so far behind in Stitch Tease. I think I am in a rut right now. Too much vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think I could bribe mine if I promised them no veggies! And ice cream! They did make their own dinner last night though!

    Have a great time up NORTH! When are you taking off??

    ReplyDelete
  25. so was dinner a success then? kids are so good at just amusing themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well what did they cook for dinner. My block will be wonderful, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You've got to love a paddling pool! (And a very clever mam!!!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.