Thursday 8 September 2011

I Blame the Fumes

Each and every time I spend too much time cleaning, breathing in those fumes from the cleaning products, I get silly ideas. Ideas that seem really good at the time. And then take me a looooong time to accomplish. So my idea to use teeny tiny HSTs for my first mug rug for the swap - well I blame that entirely on the misguided decision to give all the bathrooms a good scrub down today. I am sure otherwise I would have stuck to a simple nine patch and then spent the rest of the day in bed. Wouldn't that have been wiser use of my time?

But, no, I decided to do this instead.


I made tiny HSTs and then pieced them into pinwheels. Each HST is only 1" square when finished. Maybe it was the misguided idea that if I managed the Farmer's Wife blocks then this would be a cinch.


We won't look too closely at some of those point, okay!

I then got out some Perle cotton. I am truly addicted to this now and think about how I can use it whenever I make something.


And that is how I spent my afternoon. Cutting, and trimming (and trimming some more), and piecing, and then a bit of sewing. I think that I am almost done, though after the binding is on I will decide what to put in the white space on the right. Should it be left as is or should I do some stitching there?


I hope my secret swap partner likes it and it meets her design brief. Being fairly new to swaps I get nervous about all of that. Do you ever get over the nerve thing? Please reassure me!

Susan

22 comments:

  1. wow, this looks amazing. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking great Susan and kudos for the 1 inch HSTs! I am very nervous and when I`m nervous I get paralysed with fear - especially when the machine is playing up. May be doing it all by hand, which I don`t mind but I had better get started! What about leaving it blank and doing some FMQ of your swap partner`s name or something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fabulous - maybe I should clean more often if this is the result!! Great idea - your partner is so lucky! I'd be tempted to leave that lovely white space as it is, or perhaps quilt the outline of a couple of pinwheels...actually, I'd wait and see what everyone else suggests ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tiny pieces are beautifully done!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You nutter. 1 inch HSTs? Your partner will love it, of course. It's beautiful!
    I am really the wrong one to chat about quilting. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks lovely :-) I'm surprised thats all the fumes had you doing ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I admire anyone who tackles hsts, especially teeny ones! This is a fab MR, loving the handstitching. The white space might need a wee something, but I don't what, sorry! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your partner is going to love it. And that you took so much time to do something so intricate will make it even more special to her.

    I think a simple stitchery done in the red perle cotton... maybe a single word such Joy or perhaps her name or initials would work well in the white space.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simply gorgeous. I think your swap partner will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh boy maybe I'll have to rethink my housework is a last resort mantra if this is what happens when you do some. Look at those teeny tiny hsts they are fab.

    I'd be tempted to do as supermom suggested and add your swap partner's name or maybe even a spoon shape in the red perle cotton.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never done a swap before and I couldn't believe how nervous I was. One of my mug rugs were made with 1" HST - you have my admiration! And it looks fab

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic, and if your partner doesn't like it, you can send it to me! I still don't think the housework thing is a good idea, imagine what you could achieve without the fumes! lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh gorgeous, I love those pinwheels. Where do you get your perle cotton, on ebay or at your lqs?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful!!

    I love the look of the perle thread - where did you buy it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow - it's beautiful - and perhaps the word 'quilt' in a gorgeous font down the side in the white bit - in perle thread of course

    ReplyDelete
  16. you are mad. but we knew that already. 1 inch hst? really?!
    Looks fab though! And go you with the hand quilting!!
    I'm with the others that asked - where do you get your perle cotton? It costs $6-7 a roll over here so I've only bought 1. But the closest it's so far got to being used it by Abbie who quite fancies getting it out of my drawer to kick around. LOL... If it was cheaper and I could find better colours than pastel pink then I might be able to get into it more. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You must have 48 hours in your 24 hour day. Such clean lines in your sewing..makes for pretty mug rug. Spray with scotchguard in case lucky recipient has shakey arthritic fingers :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. You really should be more careful with those cleaning products. I'd give them a miss in future if I were you.
    I'm not so much nervous about the swap, just worried that I'll make the wrong thing, the wrong colour, the wrong size, not good enough - etc. You know what I mean.
    Great HSTs as always

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those HST's and pinwheels look wonderful Susan and I love how you have done the handstitching !!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Want! Need! Love!!

    Susan - what's your address as I am not sure you will post it to me!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.