Saturday 27 October 2012

Making Templates

I decided that I wanted some more English Paper Piecing projects. Because I just might be away from the computer and sewing machine, and spending time with my girls over half term. I had a think about patterns I like and thought it was time to give epp starflowers a go.

Jewel Star Pillow Progress
Inspiration taken from Blue Ridge Girl's Flickr photostream.


Not an uncommon pattern, and a pretty one. Only could I find printable templates for free online? Could I heck. And I wanted them now, not next week if I ordered some.

So, thought I, I'll just make them. I already had hexie papers I cut with the Go! Baby so I started with the 1" hexies as my centre. If the hexies were 1" then the diamonds needed to be 2". Fairly simple maths. The problem lay in my ability to consistently measure 2" on my paper. You would think a child could do it so therefore so could I, but no. I had lines all over the place. I was not impressed with myself.

But eventually I got there. I had a little pile of diamonds cut. I took some of them and marked off 1" on one point and chopped that off. And there I had it - the necessary paper templates to  make starflowers. I am ever so chuffed with myself. Just wish I didn't have so many brain farts getting to the end of the task.


Now, I have to go pick some fabrics. That takes me even longer than making paper templates.

Susan

26 comments:

  1. This looks like it's going to be interesrting! Can't wait to see what colours you're using.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's clever! Although I can probably send you some. I have a bunch of cardstock paper pieces and never really got hooked on them…

    Your stars are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will you stop it please! Stop showing me new things on your blog, now I want to make some of these and I still have Christmas presents to finish!!!! I will just have to send people over to you when they don't get their pressies :-) Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I really want to try some different EPP patterns, but I must plod on with the snowball.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wunderbar! I hope you have cut loads and loads!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the fabrics! Then go cut more so you have plenty whilst you are away! They look gorgeous already!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eh?! I must be the only quilter who doesn't get EPP! I feel like I'm reading a foreign language reading that - doesn't help that I can't do maths of course...... My inabilities aside, I'm sure the end result will be lovely. :-)

    Interestingly, autotext initially put bleurgh instead of foreign and instabilities instead of inabilities.... Might have been more appropriate for me hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this block and yours look fabulous! I've got quite a few of them in my hexy quilt and I'm thinking about a quilt with just these in because I love them so much. I admire your persistence with making the templates...would it be cruel to point out that I make mine with isometric paper?!
    P.S. I saw a quilt like this recently - will rack my brains and send you the link if I find it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that pattern, they will be great epp'ing. I have been epp'ing my DWR quilt today, very relaxing

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw this pattern and liked it too but I too couldn't find the templates online and really didn't want to risk trying to make them myself and find I messed up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If only I lived around the corner, you could have some of mine. I have loads of those templates.
    It takes me forever to choose fabrics too. Happy EPP ing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ohh i bet you do wonderful things with these! i hate cutting papers too...

    ReplyDelete
  13. ohh i bet you do wonderful things with these! i hate cutting papers too...

    ReplyDelete
  14. ohh i bet you do wonderful things with these! i hate cutting papers too...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah- these are like my recent EPP project for the Travellin PicStitch blog hop... I too have plenty you could have had! Why didn't you shout out? Maybe Jan would still like some? Have fun choosing fabric !

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm loving the paper - can't wait for the fabric! Have a fabulous time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Apologies for being MIA this morning, have fun a stitching all those lovely templates up :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Since I took up EPP I wish I had paid more attention in maths class.You are becoming truly hooked, excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You're far more persistent than me . I would have ordered the paper templates and had them sent express but then again I'm a complete slacker!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The stars you made are really pretty - have a wonderful break with your mum and the girls. x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love these! I want to do some of the EPP. What paper do you use for the EPP?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Go you!!!
    Our brain seems to be moving in the same direction a lot recently, except the difference is that you are actually making your brain child's. mine are staying locked away in my mind at conception... Maybe I should take a leaf out of your book!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are such a clever cookie Susan - they are going to be beautiful EPP blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Now aren't you clever? Are you headed to your mum's for a break?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love this pattern! You are the EPP queen! Jxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.