It was about this time last year that I was busily deconstructing jeans bought from the charity shop and turning them into book bags for the girls. I was really pleased with the results, and so were the girls. Those bags got used, a lot!
But it seems that one of those bags is going into retirement as Helen deemed that a new school meant a new school bag would be needed. Funnily enough, me sewing during the summer holidays is okay if I am making something for one of them!
Yesterday we were out for a good portion of the day. Part of that time was spent in town. While there we raided the charity shop for another pair of jeans. This time we scored a pair of men's black jeans for £5.99. These work rather well with the school colours which are black and red. I sliced and diced those jeans, and, with a distinct sense of deja vu, they went from clothing to bag.
I did my best trying to photograph it to show it off, but the rain was tipping down and there was a distinct lack of places to get enough light as well as a half decent photo. On the bright side, Helen is pleased as punch with it and that's what it is all about.
I used some of the tricks I used last year in the construction. The waistband became the shoulder strap. I didn't use a pattern (just in case anyone was wondering) and made it up as I went along. This time there were pockets incorporated. A deep and wider one on the front, under the flap for snacks, etc. And on the inside I put a panel of the jeans with the back pocket still attached so that pocket can be used in the bad. I also used one of the tricks I picked up online in using a hair bobble as the button hole. Works a treat that!
Finally, to add a little colour to the front flap, I machine appliquéd a flower on.
Now, I still have two pencil cases to make, but we are about to go out for the rest of the day, so that will have to wait. I have one week from today to finish their 'commissions'. Then I can go back to doing stuff on my list of things to do. Woohoo!